What's new

Finally bought them - Paradigm mini-monitors (1 Viewer)

Gau

Stunt Coordinator
After much research, I went to review a pair of paradigm atoms and ended up buying the mini-monitors.
Primarily it was because at this time i only wanted to buy 2 good speakers instead of complete 5.1 etc.

I also bought a yamaha htr-5740 to run them.
I see that the paradigm manual says to break them in... I know how to break in a car pretty well but how about a speaker? do i just leave them running while i'm at work on a low volume?

also, I dont have the stands for them yet. I didnt like the ones that the paradigm dealer had so i ordered some online. they wont get here for 2 weeks. in the meantime i am placing my speakers on my hard floor. i know they wont sound nearly as good but will it hurt them? should i put some soft fabric under them?

also, i have a sub that came with my altec lansing pc speaker setup. Will it be worthwhile to temporarily use this with the paradigms for a 2.1 setup?

I also had questions about how to setup the receiver to 'most efficiently' run the 2 speaker setup while playing dvd's and regular audio but maybe the receiver forum is more appropriate.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

On speaker break-in, do a search to see how hotly debated this topic is. Regardless of whether you believe in break-in or not, the best way is listen to your speakers. If they do break-in, then they'll get better. If they don't, you'll have enjoyed your system in the interim and you'll have enjoyed your very nice speakers.

Placing them on the floor won't harm the speakers (unless you have a dirt or gravel floor:) ). Soft fabric might prevent scratches on either the speaker or floor, but it's not necessary.

I doubt your PC speakers' sub will be of consequence with the Minis (unless it's especially powerful), plus if it's like my PC sub, it would be a bit tricky to hook in to your system. No harm in trying, but I think you'll be better off with just the Minis (IMO).

As for your receiver settings, if you DON'T use your PC sub, then just select STEREO mode for playback of your sources. DVDs will be downmixed, either by your receiver, or, if you use the analogue 2 channel outputs of your player, by your player. Your receiver likely has a virtual surround feature (or your player probably does). I used such a configuration for over 2 years before acquiring more speakers. The Minis will sound great until you get more speakers (which will then sound even better).

Congrats on your speaker purchase and kick back and enjoy the tunes.:emoji_thumbsup:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I do usually let my speakers run for a day or so, at low volume, while I am at work. The results can vary from speaker to speaker, but after about a day or so at low to normal volume, most speakers should be broken in enough and will not change dramatically over extended periods. I've owned Atoms, Titans, Minis, Monitor 5s, CC170, 270 and 370, and this was the case with all of them.

As Paul says, no damage will occur, but they will sound a heck of a lot better when they are on stands, because they won't be reflecting off the floor or resonating with it.

In this case, you actually want to set your receiver up by telling it you only have the two speakers, no center and no surround, then turn off any surround processing (or select Stereo as paul notes). Then, when selecting a track from a DVD's menu, choose the (Dolby) stereo track. Whether you use the sub or not, Stereo will still work fine, just make sure they are set to large if you configure no sub.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
I have a pair of Monitor 7's and they indeed needed a "break in". At first my ears were getting very fatigued after casual listening. After a solid 3 weeks of playing the speakers all day while at work (at moderate volumes), they opened up and became very natural on my ears. I don't know if this is the case for all speakers, but definatley the Paradigm Monitor series. Gook luck and enjoy your new speakers! :emoji_thumbsup:

P.S - I don't know if the Mini's are bi-wirable, but if so, take of the brass jumper and replace it with a 3" run of your speaker wire. Do this or bi-wire them, and you'll make them sound more natural (IMO of course). I thought the system sounded better at first non-biwired, but after critical listening it was the colorization that I was liking. After getting used to the bi-wire setup I have to say it sounds much more natural and the soundstage is much better. Anyways, Good Luck again!!

Gau

Stunt Coordinator
if by bi-wiring you mean that they have 2 pairs of black and red connections at the rear, they do not. they only have 1 pair.

i'll run them all day when i'm at work. probably one of time warners digital music channels.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
So: Paradigm + Yamaha. That usually gets the comments of "too bright" from people. I'll be interested to see if you end up feeling that way yourself...

Gau

Stunt Coordinator

Heh, this is my first foray into any sort of high-end audio equipment. These are my first set of speakers, my first receiver and my first dvd player.

Therefore i know nothing about HT setup and warm to me is what the temp. is outside right now. anyone care to elaborate on 'warm' and 'bright' ?

last night, in a moment of revelation, I put in an mp3 CD into the dvd player to play it. it sounded awesome.
for the first two days the only listening i had done from the speakers was from my Digital Cable (both analog tv shows and the so-called digital music channels that are broadcast). it was pretty mediocre to say the least as compared to a DVD or a CD played on the dvd player.
I wonder why the anomaly. is it that anything broadcast via cable is really that shitty?

as an eg. while playing my dvd's I cant play them louder than -35 to -30db for fear of waking up all my neighbors in the condo unit.
but while playing regular TV and the digital music on TV not only is my cable box volume all the way up but I can go upto 0db on the receiver without getting outrageously loud.
this is a concern sometimes if i forget to lower the volume when switching from watching Tv to listening to a DVD/CD/tuner.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

I have been running a Yamaha/Paradigm combination for over 6 years and I have enjoyed the combination. Most people agree that the new generation of Yamaha receivers are "warmer" than before.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
"Warm" and "bright" are terms often used to describe sounds that emphasize the mid-range (warm) or higher frequencies (bright). Too warm usually means not enough detail and too bright often refers to harshness at higher frequencies. These words can be useful in general terms to describe sound, but many find them imprecise. The difficulty lies in the fact that what may be "bright" to one will be just right for another or even "warm". It's a lot like "how rare do you want your steak?" I like mine "bleu", as we say here in Quebec, meaning just a quick searing on either side. My cousin likes it well done (what I call shoe leather). For some, medium well is too bloody, while for me, anything more cooked than medium rare is too much (I eat steak tartare, if that puts it in perspective).

Anyway, my point is, don't get too hung up on "warm" vs "bright". If you like the sound your receiver and speakers are giving you, that's what counts.

As for your volume differences, it could be your cable signal but it depends how you've hooked everything up. Is your cable box hooked via digital connection? I find my cable box varies wildly from channel to channel.

Gau

Stunt Coordinator
The cable box right now is hooked up via analog rca. maybe that is the problem. My cable box doesnt have component out for video (those dogs!) but it does have a digital coax connection. I'll try that out.

maybe when I get used to my new speakers a bit more and listen to various music on it, I will be able to tell the subtle differences in midrange/high range tones.

ps- I have the yamaha HTR-5740 , which is probably not a 'new' generation of yamaha's and therefore probably not as 'warm'

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I do believe that over time a speaker will sound better to break in the newness of the material. but to break them in, damn- just crank it!!!!

my Monitor 7's sound great and I did the crank it up break in. these speakers sure can take the loud volumes!!!!

dont mix and match, especially with Paradigms. spend your money wisely.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor

do the rest of you agree with this? has anybody removed the jumper and used speaker wire? i have 7's and i am wondering if i should do this. i think i will try tonite when i get home from work...good idea? thanks

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The mini-s are not biwireable. I owned a pair for more than a year and for the price they are an excellent speaker, and well-recommended.

Some people replace the jumpers with wire, really it's such a small change, I mean biwiring itself is controversial in itself, and this is like an even more very very minute change. But to each his own, certainly won't cost you anything to try.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
While it is a subtle improvement, replacing the jumpers is worthwhile. I have done it on all my bi-wirable speakers, and recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks