What's new

Finally, a DVD Cataloguer for Mac! (1 Viewer)

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
I'm trying it out too! This could be good!

Later on, I'll try to do a comparison to DVD Profiler, which I also own.

Matt

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Actually there has been one for quite a while now (OS X only) -- Readerware.
It also does audio CDs & books (thus the name). Works great with a :Cue:Cat I've been using it for a couple of months now and I am very happy with it.
Only caveat -- it's not free: $50 for just DVDs, or $75 for all three products.
Ted

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
As it stands right now I would not pay any money for this software. It does do what it says, but all fields must be manually entered. (From VersionTracker.com)
I remember this now, DVD Shelf has been out for a while, but I went with ReaderWare after I saw the user reviews for DVD Shelf. Essentially, you have to do all the work yourself, and it does not export HTML. Pretty useless.

With ReaderWare, all you have to do is scan in the barcode, and it automatically fetches from the internet a cover scan, cast & crew info, track listings in the case of audio CDs, etc. You can also drag & drop an IMDB URL and ReaderWare automatically downloads all the info. Definitely worth the extra $30.

Ted

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Ted --

Thanks for the Readerware tip. This topic comes up once in a while and no one ever mentioned it.

I'll check it out tonite. I have to say though that using the IMDB to populate my database scares me. IMDB is often innacurate.

Besides, I'm going to fill in all the other stuff anyway (audi/video specs). Fetching the cover would be nice but where does Readerware get that from? IMDB surely doesn't have every DVD cover.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
ReaderWare does not use IMDB as a source at all when you are using the barcodes. You have a choice of about 10 data sources including Tower, Amazon, etc. It has the ability to combine data from different sources -- you can select as many as you wish. It also allows you to automatically load additional data and/or overwirte particular fields.

Of course manual entry/update is also and option as is URL drag & drop (of which IMDB is just one example).

It is really a powerfull and flexible tool. Its only real weakness is non-support for non-R1 DVD barcodes -- those are the ones I ended up draging in from the IMDB.

Ted

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
does the :Cue:Cat work with OS X?? Where do you get one? The CueCat that Wired send me a long time ago was for PCs with a PS/2 port.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yes, USB :Cue:Cats work fine with OS X. You could get one at Radio Shack, I got mine online from?? sorry, I'm too lazy to search, I ordered it from my work computer, but just go to google. I paid $2 (?) including the shipping.

So long is it is USB, it is Mac friendly (it even comes with Mac software, but don't install it!)

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks