Finally, a DVD Cataloguer for Mac!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Larkin, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

2. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

Oh, yeah! Going to try this one out right now...

3. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I'm trying it out too! This could be good!

Later on, I'll try to do a comparison to DVD Profiler, which I also own.

Matt

4. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Actually there has been one for quite a while now (OS X only) -- Readerware.
    It also does audio CDs & books (thus the name). Works great with a :Cue:Cat I've been using it for a couple of months now and I am very happy with it.
    Only caveat -- it's not free: $50 for just DVDs, or $75 for all three products.
    Ted

5. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

6. Patrick Larkin

Ted --

Thanks for the Readerware tip. This topic comes up once in a while and no one ever mentioned it.

I'll check it out tonite. I have to say though that using the IMDB to populate my database scares me. IMDB is often innacurate.

Besides, I'm going to fill in all the other stuff anyway (audi/video specs). Fetching the cover would be nice but where does Readerware get that from? IMDB surely doesn't have every DVD cover.

7. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

ReaderWare does not use IMDB as a source at all when you are using the barcodes. You have a choice of about 10 data sources including Tower, Amazon, etc. It has the ability to combine data from different sources -- you can select as many as you wish. It also allows you to automatically load additional data and/or overwirte particular fields.

Of course manual entry/update is also and option as is URL drag & drop (of which IMDB is just one example).

It is really a powerfull and flexible tool. Its only real weakness is non-support for non-R1 DVD barcodes -- those are the ones I ended up draging in from the IMDB.

Ted

8. Patrick Larkin

does the :Cue:Cat work with OS X?? Where do you get one? The CueCat that Wired send me a long time ago was for PCs with a PS/2 port.

9. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Yes, USB :Cue:Cats work fine with OS X. You could get one at Radio Shack, I got mine online from?? sorry, I'm too lazy to search, I ordered it from my work computer, but just go to google. I paid $2 (?) including the shipping.

So long is it is USB, it is Mac friendly (it even comes with Mac software, but don't install it!)

Ted