What's new

Film Studies research, please help! (1 Viewer)

Brent_H

Second Unit
Hey all...I have to do a 8-10 page paper comparing and contrasting two films made from the same literary source for my film studies class....For example, The Manchurian Candidate was made in 1962 then again in 2004 both based on the same novel. Something like that. But, it mussst be based on a book.
I thought this would be the best place to come for ideas....so throw anything out y'all can think of!!

thanks so much!
Brent.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Here's some good comparisons:

- The animated versions of "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Return of the King" with Peter Jackson's excellent trilogy, both adapted from the Tolkein books.
- Kenneth Branagh's 4-hour version of "Hamlet" and the Franco Zeffirelli/Mel Gibson version from 1990, both taken from the original Shakespeare source. (Okay, so it was originally a play, and I cheated, but I got it!) :D
- Likewise, "Romeo and Juliet", both the 1968 and the 1996 edition, both based on Shakespeare. (Again, I cheated, but I got it! lol!) :D
- There have also been a couple of versions of "Wuthering Heights" adapted from Emily Bronte's novel, the more famous being the 1930's version with Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon, though there was a later version produced.

Those should give you some good examples. Good luck with your project!

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen) A 1940 movie with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier, and a BBC/A&E movie made in 1995.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers Movie versions in 1956 and 1978, book published in 1955.

Brent_H

Second Unit
Bill--

Shakespeare works...my prof mentioned Hamlet specifically in class....heh. Okay, keep the suggestions coming. I was hoping for something more like 'Anchorman' haha but ya know...I just want to do something that no one else will think of, because I have all of you people from this wonderful forum to help me! So yes, keep it up.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Rear Window was based on a short story by Cornell Woolrich, and was remade with Christopher Reeve, and as a film called Hou Chuang.

Vertigo was from a novel and was remade both in French and Chinese.

The Godfather is from the book, and is being remade as an Indian film (though I don't think it's out yet).

Psycho was from a novel, and was remade in 1998.

The Wizard of Oz is from a book and has several versions.

Ditto:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Big Sleep
The Killers (46, 64, etc.)
The 39 Steps
The Postman Always Rings Twice
The Sound of Music
West Side Story (from Romeo & Juliet)
Ben-Hur
My Fair Lady

etc., etc.

Brent_H

Second Unit
I think the most obvious one everyone is forgetting so far has to be "The Stepford Wives." :P haha ewww. ok

Brent

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I can agree with George on that one. You've got four different versions of "Ben-Hur" that were taken from General Lew Wallace's book, all of them differently interpreted. Besides the most obvious one from the 1950's with Charlton Heston, MGM did a silent version back in 1927 directed by Fred Niblo with Ramon Navarro and Francis X. Bushman. Before that there was a 12-minute version made all the way back in 1907 directed by Sidney Olcott. And most recently there was an animated version released from GoodTimes Home Video. All four versions present different approaches to the Wallace novel.

(On a side note, watch the chariot race from Wyler's version with the Podrace music from "Star Wars: The Phantom Menace" - it's an absolute hoot!) :D

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Criterion has a 2-disc set of adaptations of The Lower Depths, a Russian play from the early 1900s, one by Renoir, one by Kurosawa. I haven't seen either of them, but it'd probably be an interesting subject for a paper. Tough to go wrong with two of the all-time great directors.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

You beat me to it Haggai...I just finished watching both of these the past 2 nights and they would be an excellent study. I don't know much about the play (written by Gorky), but the approaches to the story by both filmmakers is definitely different - number and depth of focus on characters, camera movement vs. static, story elements shifted, etc.

The Kurosawa started slow, but emphasized a larger set of characters which really started to pay off about 45 minutes in. Overall I think I preferred the Renoir as it had a strong focus on 2 characters and their relationship and had a tight narrative.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Speaking of Criterion, check out "The Killers" DVD set. A short story by Hemmingway interpreted VERY differently. Set even includes a copy of the story!

Paul Bond

Stunt Coordinator
I'm working just from memory here (MISTAKE!!!!), but how about The Bourne Identity?

1988 TV Movie starring Richard Chamberlain
2002 Movie starring Matt Damon

If I think of any others, I'll send more notes.

Bond. Paul Bond.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

Justin - Unless I'm interpreting the DeepDiscountDVD site wrong, the disk includes a reading of the Hemingway short story by Stacy Keach. Can anyone confirm. I think I will be picking this up. I always liked the 1946 version and would like to see the other versions also. And it is around $29.00 at DeepDiscountDVD which looks like a good price.

Brent_H

Second Unit
so far the only thing that interests me is doing 'Psycho.' This is no good. 'The Bourne Identity' would be cool, but good luck finding that TV movie anywhere...hmm...okay well keep em comin guys. This is a good read nonetheless.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Dracula - take your pick.

The key versions of the novel are:
Nosferatu (1922 silent)
Dracula (1931 Lugosi and 1931 Spanish-language version shot concurrently; although they are both based more on the Balderson/Deane play adaptation)
Horror of Dracula (1958, Hammer Films with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee)
Dracula (1973, starring Jack Palance with an excellent script by Richard Matheson)
Dracula (1979, starring Frank Langella and Laurence Olivier)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992, starring Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins)
There are other adaptations, such as "Count Dracula" with Christopher Lee and a version made for TV starring Louis Jourdan.

Brent_H

Second Unit
How bout "Troy" from Homer's "The Iliad" ?? I dunno what else would go good with that tho. Help me out. :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Or Frankenstein (lots of versions including Young Frankenstein :emoji_thumbsup: )

or Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde

or Treasure Island

or Oliver Twist

or A Christmas Carol

Lots of 'classic' literature has many film incarnations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks