What's new

Film Soundtracks on DVD-Audio...There are only two?! (1 Viewer)

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
I'm sure there must be a few others, but to the best of my knowledge, the only orchestral soundtrack scores on DVD-Audio are

A.I. and
The Fellowship of the Rings 4 cd/DVD-A set.

Is that all there are?

And if not, any recommendations for a DVD-A retail site that has a solid soundtrack selection?

Thanks!

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
Close Encounters is available in hi-rez DVD-A--HDAD to be exact. From Classic Records. I have it and it's quite good. Check a site like elusivedisc for this one.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I don't own the dvd-audio version but do own the movie (documentary?) this soundtrack came from:

Koyannisqatsi: Life Out of Balance by Phillip Glass (dvd-a review)

I also don't know if the 5.1 soundtrack on the dvd-video is shared by the dvd-audio disc (I'm not much help am I!) but the video's surround mix is what I guess you'd call "aggressively ambient". The rears hardly ever contain discrete sounds but they do contribute to a very enveloping effect. Considering the type of documentary this is, I don't think a discrete mix would have been appropriate since it would distract one from the program's subject matter. And, quite powerful low bass frequencies are used throughout the film (organs & synths) and help to accent certain visuals.

Here are two places that sell the dvd-audio

Koyaanisqatsi @ Acoustic Sounds

Koyaanisqatsi @ Music Direct

The reviewer above isn't exagerrating when he says the music can be become extremely repetetive. I think it is a very good documentary & have watched it three times all the way through and still watch pieces of it becuase it is very thought provoking (though this definitely is a love it or hate it type of program). But the two formats - visuals and music - really need to be experienced together for best effect, and then the reason for the repetiveness makes sense.

FYI: if you watch the video version, make sure you're *not* in a hurry because I think the slow pace is so viewers have time to think about what they're seeing.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yeah Lance--Koyaanisqatsi. Was gonna mention that but didn't know, Darren, if you were interested in that kind of 'electronica' given that you said "orchestral."

Thx for mentioning the CE3K, Jeffrey. Didn't know that Classic had embraced the DVD-A spec and started releasing a backward compat "HDAD."

I know you said DVD-A, Darren, but there are SA-CDs of the scores of E.T., Dances With Wolves (be aware of the recent remastered CD including previously unreleased cues though!), Seabiscuit, Birdy, Star Trek: Nemesis, A Beautiful Mind, Amadeus and others.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Music From and Inspired by the Film Monster includes both a CD and a DVD-Audio disc from DTS entertainment featuring a departure for BT (Brian Transeau) from his usual dance music.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Found ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD as well. A re-recording. Not sure on the quality, as I didn't buy it.

But, its looking like the title availability is really pathetic, especially since the A.I. review is terrible!:)

Harrison Shinn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Harrison Shinn
Darren:

The DVD-A of ROBIN HOOD is spectacular. Any fan of film music would be crazy not to have this in their collection.

I originally purchased the regular CD version of it and thought it was terrific, but since I got the DVD-A of it back in 2003, I haven't even bothered to listen to the regular CD. The sound is awesome no matter which format you choose...athough I'd have to give an edge to the DVD-A tracks.

Try here www.screenarchives.com for availability.

Cheers!
Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks