What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

files that will not defragment? (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i'm not sure if i should worry about this. on one of my drives, i have a bunch of files that will not defragment even after a couple of tries. i'm not sure if there are better defragmenters out there than the windows one, or if they are all the same. what if i move them to a different drive, then defragment that one, would that help? the only reason i am concerned is that a few of the files have 9000+ fragments.

CJ

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
CJ,

Try this:

Move the large file in question to another drive.

Defrag your original drive. This should make most or all of the free space contiguous at the end of the drive.

Move the large file back to its original drive.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
from what I can tell, the defragmenter won't move files that are currently in use. be it running programs or essential system files. try defragmenting in safe mode to ensure that as little as possible is running in the background.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
from what I can tell, the defragmenter won't move files that are currently in use. be it running programs or essential system files. try defragmenting in safe mode to ensure that as little as possible is running in the background.
that could be the problem on my c drive, but these files were not in use by anything. i'm not exactly sure why these specific files were fragmented. i have tried defragging after a reboot, didnt correct that problem. i'm lucky that i have enough space to move all these files around :)

CJ

KyleS

Screenwriter
Christ,

You defragged after a reboot but have you tried what Rob suggested and did a defragment in Safe mode?

KyleS

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Do you know exactly what files these are? If they're your swapfile (common), the way to fix that is to do the following:

* Change your swap file to something ridiculously small, say maximum 32mb minimum 32mb.

* Defragment the drive

* Set up your swapfile with both a maximum and a minimum setting. Say 256mb/256mb as the minimum and max (not sure how much you need - 256mb is probably too small).

Now your swapfile won't fragment, but it won't be able to grow either.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Do you know exactly what files these are?
yeah i do, i suppose i should have said it. they arent even on the same drive as my swap file. these files wont be opened by anything unless i open them. i still havent tried what rob has tried, but i am downloading a concert and dont want to reboot again until it is done. however, i'll try it before i move the files to another drive.

CJ

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I've found that my ATI video capture keep a default amount of HD space and doesn't allow it to be defragged.

B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks