What's new

I.. am a defragmenting-whore (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I... i cant help it, i just cant stand imagining having... duh duh duh, FRAGMENTED files on my hard drive!

I defragment at least once a day, sometimes more if im downloading or installing or deleting a lot of stuff...

The sight of Diskeeper telling me "Congratulations! There are no excess file or directory fragments on this volume" makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I HATE seeing all those little red bars in the drive map.

Do i have a problem?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Defragging a hard drive is SO overrated. It doesn't give a performance boost anywhere near what people believe.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I don't know bout you, but i DEFINITELY feel a difference. Maybe not between a day of not defragmenting, but after a few weeks of heavy use, i feel the improvement. Feels like the first time i booted up WinXP :)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I try to do the scan disk/defrag thing every 3 months. But whenever I'm installing or uninstalling a lot of hardware or software I usually go through the routine just to purge my computer of any unecessary clutter that might cause problems in the future.

Nick if you're defraging once a day then you're addicted, my friend. I suggest a good technology therapist on Park ave. that can get you down to 1 defrag a week, then a month and so on. You can get through this man. :D

John Watson

Screenwriter
...the precariousness of our fragile egg-shell mind is over-rated

you are a child of the universe, and it's a bloody mess anyway

your back yard is clean, but the planet is dying...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I used to do it every day, but now I can't remember the last time I did it.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I defrag maybe once ever couple months, and usually format/reinstall once a year. The only reason I do the formatting...I backup all the files I know I want, then force myself to format. I'm a bit of a digital pack-rat.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor

My wife and I have the same problem...

Oh wait... were you talking about defraging your hard drive??? Thought you meant something else.... never mind...

I defrag once a week....

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
If i do it often, round 3-5 minutes...

If its really fragged, max bout 15-20mins..

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I use Diskeeper, turn on "the set and forget" with the "smart schdeule" option. Done.

I also make Norton's Win Doctor run automatically once a day. Keeps my shortcut and registry in order. It's the only Norton software I install or run.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think you are OK...

I defrag all my Silica packets once a day, it makes sure there are as much surface area so that each and every water molecule gets its day.

:)

Jay

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

This made me laugh.. because I used to wash my car inside and out and then get an incredible urge to drive it through the park. "The car wants to go through the park" I would tell my wife. "It wants to go fast"

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yah, but it gets sluggish sometimes when im using it heavily i found...

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
The last 2 times I have defrag my drive the next time I turned on the computer I had problems big time. Took me days to get it up and running again. Anyone have any ideas why they are the kiss of death to me?
Unless I find out why I'll never do it again. I used the MS defrag tool.
I am running XP and its a sony Viao tower if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks