What's new

Deleting leads to freezes? (1 Viewer)

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
I'm running into freezes whenever I try to delete files. I usually shift+delete just to save a step but I kept experiencing freezes when I would delete a large file or multiple files. So I tried going through the recycle bin hoping that it would make a difference. No luck. My first try after the emptying graphic came up the system froze. It's not usually a total freeze but it's annoying as anything. The last time it happened I hit ctrl+alt+del and it said that explorer was not responding. I wasn't using IE so it must mean windows explorer. Any idea what could be causing this?

I keep my PC spyware/virus free, my startup is clean and I've gone through all the usual scan disc and defrag steps. So any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sorry, should have mentioned my specs.

P4 1.7
Win98SE
256DDR
40 GB Maxtor 7200

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
You could always check for driver updates for your IDE controller, check for any driver updates from your system board manufacturer, and check for any BIOS updates from your system board manufacturer.

If that doesn't work, you may be looking at a full wipe and reinstall.

If that doesn't work, try putting in another HD from another computer, then do another full wipe and reinstall.

If someone can point out a solution I missed, I'm sure this gjy would appreciate it. :)

John Watson

Screenwriter
I am getting this on large dumps (particularly of directories) from my Recycle bin.

Its Windows 98 SE, on old 3 Gig computer, and the OS was last installed a couple of years ago, and I've had a few other problems with Windows Explorer.

I'm assuming a fresh install will clear them up.

In the meantime, I've been reducing the size of my deletes, and just throwing them out 50 or so files at a time.

PS Another sign of Miccroslob's lameness : more than one program's named explorer?

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
Since the IDE controller is part of your system board, go to the system board's manufacturer's site. Unless you have an add-on card, in which case you should already know what you have and where to go for drivers.

Frankly I'd be surprised if this clears your problem up, but I have a policy of sorting fixes by how fast they are to implement, not by how likely they are to work. :)

Tabula rasa solves everything… except hardware problems. :)

PatB

Stunt Coordinator
Nope, no luck there. It's an asus motherboard. But doesn't this seem likely to be a windows problem? I get reoccurring kernel.dll errors too and then icons sometimes disappear from my system tray. Odd things, all.

Paul_Sjordal

Supporting Actor
It's very possible that it's a windows problem. As I said, I always sort the fastest fixes first, and a hard drive wipe is hardly what one could call fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks