What's new

"Fiddler on the Roof" April 5th from MGM (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JohnMor
I too hope the FOTR is treated as well as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was. Certainly deserves to be. As does West Side Story. I'm almost dreading the artwork for WSS. LOL.
Until I read this post, I never realized that Fiddler on the Roof forms the same acronym as Fellowship of the Ring!

I'll fall in the camp that doesn't HATE the new cover. It's certainly not as bad as many that have been coming down the pike (to my mind).

And I'm just thrilled about the upcoming release.

Tradition!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
As far as WSS goes, that was one thing the Deluxe DVD got right by simply using Saul Bass' logo design on a red background. Simple, elegant, and not likely to confuse anyone.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yes!! One of the best designed*, best looking DVD sets ever.

*Of course, it didn't really need "designing", did it? Like Warner Archives DVD cases don't need "designing" now. They just "are" what they should be, and it totally fucking works.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman /forum/thread/308710/fiddler-on-the-roof-april-5th-from-mgm#post_3781280

Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum!

If I "sing" it slower, Ya da da da, Da da, Da da, Yabba Dabba Doo!

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I expect this will just be a rehash of the last DVD release - unless MGM does a new transfer and as with "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" knocks it out of the park

But lately MGM is just catching up putting out catalog titles with so so transfers done years ago

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

I expect this will just be a rehash of the last DVD release - unless MGM does a new transfer and as with "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" knocks it out of the park

But lately MGM is just catching up putting out catalog titles with so so transfers done years ago
This title is too big and too popular for them to subject it to a rush-job release. Musicals, Oscar-winners, and James Bond films tend to get the lion's share (no pun intended) of resources allocated to them, and this is two out of three.

If it's a new transfer it'll probably look as good as it can, but it was shot in 35mm Panavision with a fairly subdued color scheme and a lot of low light scenes, so don't expect it to look like "Chitty" or "Sound of Music."

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman /forum/thread/308710/fiddler-on-the-roof-april-5th-from-mgm#post_3780438

I also prefer the use of original artwork, but to be honest I actually kinda like that new FotR cover. :)

Except the town in the film looks nothing like that - it's a poor village not a Roman tourist attraction. Plus the poor fiddler he looks like a Beverly Hills Rabbi

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Except the town in the film looks nothing like that - it's a poor village not a Roman tourist attraction. Plus the poor fiddler he looks like a Beverly Hills Rabbi
I agree with you . It makes it look like a totally happy film and not about repression and religious intolerance.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by ahollis
It makes it look like a totally happy film and not about repression and religious intolerance.
I agree that the new cover, while not a horrible photo in and of itself, is not really right for this film. That said, the original poster art of Tevye dancing (see Greg's avatar) doesn't exactly scream "Help, help, I'm being repressed!!" either! Of cource, "Fiddler On the Roof" is about MUCH more than "repression and religious intolerance".

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Craig S
I agree that the new cover, while not a horrible photo in and of itself, is not really right for this film. That said, the original poster art of Tevye dancing (see Greg's avatar) doesn't exactly scream "Help, help, I'm being repressed!!" either! Of cource, "Fiddler On the Roof" is about MUCH more than "repression and religious intolerance".
The original release posters sold the film three ways. The style A poster sold it directly as a musical with dancing Tevye and daughters. The style B sold it both ways with drawn images from the film surrounding a dancing Tevye includng the soldiers charging on their horses. Style C was a darker poster with the soldiers charging and Tevye pulling his cart, the other images were of the family. It was not until the re-release that they used the silhouette of the fiddler. Any of the original release styles are better than the DVD cover, but they do look dated, while the DVD cover does not.

Style A
javascript:;

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I love every one of those posters infinitely more than the cover art for the upcoming Blu-ray.

But, those are the posters I grew up with, so I guess it's normal that I would find them more appealing.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Interesting info on the posters. I recall seeing Styles A & B when it was released (I was about 14 at the time). Don't know that I've ever seen the style C image before.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
got to say that i do love posterart a hell of a lot better, but i can live with beverly hills rabbi ( by the way look for that this year staring larry david, LOL) and remaining in the punny mood, i do hope that this looks chitty, i will take chitty presentation over shi**y anyday

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks