What's new

"Fiddler on the Roof" April 5th from MGM (1 Viewer)

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
One more depressing time....
df0e2bfd_80daysatrivoli.jpeg

85663015_Cleopatra-Rivoli.jpeg

They couldn't afford to do just the "vertical" (installed by Artkraft Strauss) on the Rivoli for "Cleopatra" today. But then again, that's when movies were a REAL business. Today, they throw you in a virtually bare square box, tell you it's a movie theatre and charge you $10. for a "small" popcorn and drink and then, they DON'T even run FILM. Today, ALL the AMC and Regal theatres in New York City together don't equal ONE Loew's wonder theatre built back in 1928.
In 1939, Loew's had 4 major first class theatres in the Broadway-Times Square area alone. They were Loew's Capitol, State, Mayfair and the "new" Criterion. The BIGGEST mistake to date made by the government in the name of "anti-trust", is the government break-up of Loews and forced "sell off" of MGM. Yet, they left AT&T/Western Electric alone to continue to screw the public. It's A Wonderful Life!

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
moviebuff75 said:
Was there an Intermission card originally? If so, what did it look like?
Saw Fiddler On The Roof way back when at The Rivoli during its Roadshow engagement. Certainly had an intermission. Do not recall if there was an Intermission card or Intermission was stated on the film proper.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Paul Rossen said:
Saw Fiddler On The Roof way back when at The Rivoli during its Roadshow engagement. Certainly had an intermission. Do not recall if there was an Intermission card or Intermission was stated on the film proper.
There was an intermission card but I seem to remember it was just Intermission in gold letters on black background. I also saw it the Rivoli in NYC and again played it on its re-release. We had a discussion on whether to have the intermission or not. We ended up with an intermission during the weekend shows and no intermission Monday -Thursday.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I saw it in about 1973 at the end of its general release in a worn print with no intermission. Since the film runs 180 minutes and they had showings every three hours, the film played in a continuous loop with no stopping.

A few years later, after it had played on network television, I saw a beautiful 70mm truncated, re-edited re-release with the opening credits preceding "Tradition" and several songs such as "Far from the Home I Love" and (I think) "Anatevka" eliminated. The film was tightened up quite a bit (we didn't actually see Golde go to the priest, we just heard her tell Tevye that she did) and it ran about 150 minutes. I don't recall whether this version had an intermission or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks