What's new

Fellow Wharfedale owners - your thoughts pls (1 Viewer)

KerryM

Auditioning
I've had my new (from ubid) Emerald Mark IV 99's for a few days. I bought these for my secondary HT area but my primary music listening setup. I am going to team them with a HK 520, but it's not here yet so I've got them hooked up to a Sony DB930 for now.

Out of the box I find them a bit forward (not in a bad way) with great tight bass. But the big negative so far is the sissle on human 's' sounds. Really distracting. I am really hoping the tweeters mellow out a bit. What's interesting is if I listen to instrumental jazz, these speakers sound simply fantastic. As soon as a vocal starts it ruins it for me.

Anyone else experience this? At this point I'm thinking of experimenting with replacing the tweeters. Am I nuts, or will these things break in eventually?

Thanks..

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
I suggest you work them for a week or two and see how they sound after some play time.
While I didn't experience any problems with my Diamonds, I think anyone will tell you to give them a while to lossen up.

Best of luck.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I found the same thing when our 99's showed up and were installed in the bedroom system. All speaks are from Emerald line in Oak and include, 99's, 95's, 93's, and Center.
At the price you could, (aprox 1-year ago) and still can find "now and then", a flat out steal for the quailty and sound that money buys....
I was able to aquire all these real Oak veneered speaks brand new, for just barely 700.00.
Still have a smile from ear to ear after nearly a year of ownership...:)

I also suggest you let them run in for a while, at least 50 hrs plus. This is a line of speaks that really do change with play time. Most noteable in the upper mids and high freqs.
Axiom is also known to suffer the some needed break in time, most mention the high end.
Both theses speaker lines are very detailed in their high end (the Emerald slightly less so) and can make poor recordings almost un-listenable. But on good quaility recorded material they "really sing" and you then appreciate their great detail...

The silk tweet in the Emerald is of high quaiity and your Sony is not helping your current Sssss problem. No disrepect intended tothe Sony!

The H/K will sound much better on them, along with more play time hours. It will will help the problem tweet, Muchoo.

The 99's midrange IMO is it's weakest point. The larger diver as opposed to the 97's, I really belive hurt them. Not badly by any means, but not as good as the 95 or 97 tower from the same line using the smaller mid driver.
Bass response & extension with the 99's is excellent and placement is critical to get the most out of them in all respects of sound Q...

If after more play time and the introduction of the H/K, you then still feel that the tweeter is a problem and look to change it out,,, please contact me ASAP..! I'll glady take them off your hands...;)

If you do a search here at HTF for the Emerald you'll find ample reading materal regarding them. Quite a few have them and one I know is running them with an H/K-520 and later moved to seperate amping via Parasound.
He loves them and not afarid to tell you so, hi Paul..;)

Give them time and get the H/K on them along with working on placement and I think you'll be quite pleased in the end with your purchase...

Yes, I agree with you that Jazz dose sound great along with instermental works. The Emeralds are very strong in this area IMO.

Wharf also has EXCELLENT customer service if you ever have any type problem with your speaks.

Regards
Geoff

Bill_San

Auditioning
My dad has Em99s and Em center powered by an HK 525. The highs are detailed, a bit laid back and very sweet--no sibilance at all. Vocals, especially female singing is suberb. My brother has the Em97s powered by a Denon 2803, also fine.

Run them in good and wait for the HK before doing anything drastic. I think the HK is a great match for these speakers. My guess is you will be amazed at the difference the HK will make. And yes, make sure your source material is an excellent recording. Are your speaker wires decent quality and in good shape?

Bill

KerryM

Auditioning
Thanks for the reassurance. I also think the HK will make a big difference. Right now, except for the ssss on the vocals, they sound sensational. I was using 20 year old Boston Acoustic 150's with the Sony - great speakers in their own right. These Wharfedale's are very different, very detailed but without the fatigue you might expect. When I take the SVS offline and listen in 2 channel stereo I can't believe the bass extension. And how about these cabinents - mine are cherry and they look like pieces of furniture.

KerryM

Auditioning
Oh, forgot to ask... are you guys biwiring them? Right now I'm just running single monster xp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks