What's new

feedback from speakers at higher volumes? why? (1 Viewer)

scottAtah

Grip
heya people....working with the following:

panasonic sa-xr50 receiver 100 or 110 x 6
athena as-f2 floor speakers
paradigm pw-2200 sub

Today, finally home alone i gave pearl harbour a bit of a test, as normally all i ever play is music, quieter usually heh. I seemed to notice that i get some feedback thru my towers.

Granted this is all in a quite compact space and what not...what could be causing this? This is all in a bedroom btw - definitely not the ideal setup, but you gotta work with what you got. floor speakers are about 3" from a dresser on one side and at an angle to a wall on the other, and mabe a total of like 3-4ft apart total, with a tv on top of the dresser inbetween.

Computer sits inch's from the one speaker (which hasn't caused any problems yet, speakers are supposedly magnetically shielded, so i'm in good faith)

what could cause the feedback - only at higher volumes, noticed it at like 22 - 20's been the loudest i've gone with music (no prob with music yet)

(submitting a second time, first gave me an error hope this ain't a double post)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just these two speakers or are there other speakers in the equation? Does it happen all the time at that level or just during more demanding passages? Do you have your speakers set to large or small? For music, are you listening with only the two speakers vs more speakers for movies? What impedance are the AS-F2s?

The first thing to check with things like this is always the wiring. It seems obvious, but check to make sure the polarity is correct for all speakers and for stray strands that may be touching each other or the receiver's chassis.

Next would be to check for blown drivers in your speakers.

scottAtah

Grip
hmmm i think after all that, since this is all hooked up thru my computer...i think my microphone is on the floor back there....chances are it wasn't muted and that was causing feedback hah! my bad

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I was going to post, is there a mic anywhere in the system? Even a turntable maybe?

I mean, normally in modern HT, there is no path for feed back, and if you have it at all, you either wired something very wrong on the line level stages or the AVR/AMP/ECT... is malfunctioning.

Good to see you figured it out. It happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks