What's new

Faux marble finish/best brand/where to get? (1 Viewer)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Just as the question asks, what brand, where to get, best color selction, easy to use.

I know results vary and one has to pratice a bit, but is their one thats better than others out their..

Tanks
Geoff ¥

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Robert

Thanks for the heads up on contact paper faux marble look, but I'm looking for those Faux kit paint type ones. I belive this is how it comes.

That would work for certain box/cabinet styles, but what I'm looking at designing for a cab, the paper would not work properly.

I've seen a few subs/rack shelves/speaker tops, even the complete cabinet done with the stuff. Never paid much attention to where they might have got it, or the particular brand if it was mentioned. :angry:

Looking for a black with greyish and or cream/creamy white type coloring. Seen something here very much like that before. Can't seem to find it with searches.

I know this type finish requires some practice and I'm up for trying it out,,,,, certainly before attepting to finsih the actual sub cabinets.

===>
Can the Faux finish kit, or how ever it comes, be "gloss cleared" once dried.???
===>

Thanks
Geoff ¥

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
When i did mine I painted the top flat black and then applied some craft tube paint mixed with a little glaze using a sponge. You then dab the paint with a damp sponge to soften the look. It does require some practice but its not that difficult to do...esp if you have someone helping you as its best to have one painting and one sponging so that the paint doesn't dry on you.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thank Andrew

Yes it seems it's definetly a arts type thing and will require some practice.

Probley eaiser to find an artist to do the damn thing. After some searches else where, I found a place that kinda lays out the needed things and how to do it, Marble and also other types of finishes.

For those interested, you can check it out at this place.

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jhtml?s...l&catref=SC166

Intrest in doing it my self is falling off sharply, :frowning: more so due to having to drive 40 plus miles to buy the specific recomended type paints and other possible goodies I might not be able to find locally. I live in Bum F No Where...

Again, thank guys for your takes/info.

Seems if your good at it, it certainly can look very real thats for sure..

Regards
Geoff ¥

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Geoff you should be able to find the paint at any craft store and although it does take a bit of practice its really not that hard to do...trust me I'm no painter and mine turned out great.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thats what bites, No craft/paint stores here in Bum F Eygpt. Also work in Bum F E...:crazy:

I do paint alot, spray gun, restoration of older 60's muscel cars, etc, not an artist in the sence of ~{hand marble paint work on a chunk of wood/MDF}~.
Give me a gun and now where talking..:D

I belive if I had the Faux stuff, playing at it awhile I'd figure out how to get what I want for the look I would think. Right now I'm gona hold out till I go to the city at some point. At that time I'll checkout the stuff I need & maybe bring it home and play at that point.

Till then, hold out...

Will ask round and see if someone some what local dose this type of stuff, if so, will check that out also. Their work and what it might cost to have them do what I want. Afterwards the clearing, sanding and buffing I'll handel, if such was lucky enough come about.

Cheers
Geoff ¥

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Geoff,

I think you can find something at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc. I've even seen the stuff on Ebay before.

Also, if you remember, my Tumult top was painted faux marble. Of course, I got the artist in the shop next door to do it, but my step-mother also did it on a few speaker cabinets and they came out pretty good.

Yury

Auditioning
Dear Geoff L!
what do you think about real marble? it's better then any papers and I'm sure - the same price.
you can find some more details and pics into my homepage

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Yury

I remember reading and seeing your marble work with subs in a thread some time back..

That "might" be a possibility, rapping the cab or using complete real marble. Where I'm from, I doubt it could be done for the same cost as fake/faux marble painting. Also when done right it looks astoudingly real..

I'll be checking into a number of things/ideas/approaches once I do make it to the big city. No big rush on these at this time...

Thanks for dropping in & your marble stuff is "very" purdy!

Regards
Geoff ¥

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks