What's new

FAT problems... (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
My sister has a problem with her notebook, it seems like somehow her FAT is having difficulties, seems like on bootup, Scandisk is always running cause Windows '95 thinks the laptop hasn't been shut down properly. I'm thinking some virus might of destoryed something to do with the FAT on her machine. I know she got hit with that NIMDA(a) worm running around, but I think that's just a worm, not a destructive virus, right?

Any recommendations, I was suggesting a reinstall to be safe, but thought I'd ask if any good utility could be handy. She's been having problems with her computer locking up while she's online and some program crashes with VDDs also.

Jay

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
There's articles on Microsoft's knowledgebase dealing with the scandisk on boot-up problem.

Why is she still using Windows 95? Windows 98 Second Edition is more stable, and it sounds like she's due for a reformat/reload anyway, especially if her system was corrupted by a virus.

As for NIMDA, it is both a virus and a worm. It spreads like a worm but it can also infect executable files. Many worms, as well as viruses can corrupt Windows to the point where it's unstable until it's reinstalled.

KJP

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
If you don't have Norton Utilities, you can download for free from Symantec the "Norton Emergency Disk" which is a 4-floppy set that includes DOS-based antivirus and Norton Disk Doctor. The antivirus program is unlikely to find and fix a newer virus such as Nimda, but if there's a problem with the FAT, Disk Doctor should be able to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks