What's new

Samsung LN46A650A1FXZA Cycling On and Off (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This is a problem some of you know about. Samsung used some bad or underrated capacitors a few year back and when they go, you have problems. Quality caps are cheap, this may be the least expensive part on a TV, for all I know. I've googled and read threads and watched videos and when the back of the TV is taken off, if blown caps are the problem, they're easy to spot.

You're left with two options, replace only the caps or the entire board. Caps are cheap the boards can be from $65-125 or so. After watching the videos it seems like I should be able t do it. I'd have to buy the soldering stuff, but it would probably be cheaper than the boards and certainly cheaper than an out-of-warranty service call.

In one video the guy used a cord of solder wick (I think it was called) to remove the melted solder. The board looked a little messy and he said I'll clean it up, but skipped that on the video so I don't know who he did it. In another video, there soldering iron had a vacuum on it that sucked up the melted solder as it was melted. That was cool, though I'm unsure what to call it in a google search and it might be too pricey.

If anyone has a recommendation for a soldering gun, please let me know. It seems there are two forms: 1) is shaped so it's like holding a fat pen or pencil and 2) the other is a pistol grip which seems to me like it would be easier to hold steady.

Any advice on equipment, technique, or even if you think I'm crazy to try this, I'll listen.

BTW, I learned in my googling that there was actually a class action settlement for this problem. Thru 2013 Samsung did free repairs and that was extended to 2015. I knew none of this. My first call to Samsung was a definite nada, I missed my chance, not a thing we can do. Second call same message but I insisted on a manager. She said the same, but I kept persisting (politely) and she said she would email her superiors to see what they would do. I told her we've owned several Samsungs (true because I've always liked their picture) and this is our second caps problem (also true) and that if Samsung couldn't see their way to fixing this problem (because it came with the problem out of the factory) I would never buy another Samsung again. I said all this politely, but I have little hope they'll fix it.

Does anyone know if Samsung has fixed this problem going forward? Are using the proper caps now?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks