What's new

Fantoma dvds - In a Year of 13 Moons (1 Viewer)

Kevin*Kerouac

Auditioning
Does Fantoma produce quality DVDS? I've seen very few reviews of their products and was wondering if their presentation of Rainer Werner Fassbinder's films, specifically, In a Year of 13 Moons, have good image and sound. In a Year with 13 Moons was just released but can't find any reviews on it.

WillardK

Second Unit
Fantoma is one of the more reliable independents and produces excellent discs. There is a review of In a Year of 13 Moons and the other Fantoma Fassbinders at Mondo Digital.

Jeff Kuykendall

Stunt Coordinator
I have Fantoma's release of Fando & Lis and it's a treasure. I've also heard great things about their release of One From the Heart.

WillardK

Second Unit
Okay... so I finally watched my copy of 13 Moons (as highly anticipated a dvd as this was, I somewhat wrongheadedly thought I had to be in the right mood to watch it). There is no reason not to get this disc if you were already considering it. The colors are amazing, image is clear... it's one of the better transfers I've seen from Fantoma (and that's saying something... check out their Indian Epic set for a reference quality transfer). The audio does an excellent job with the complex layering of sounds.

The film itself is possibly Fassbinder's most powerful as well as most difficult to work one's way through it's brutality towards a genuine life affirmation (hence my hesitation on watching it right away). But it is so worth it if you're up for the trip. ...and while brutal, it's also deeply tender and personal. It does and doesn't surprise me that this is Linklater's favorite Fassbinder film. His 'introduction' is properly placed with the extras and shouldn't be viewed until you've already seen the film as he mentions a few key sequences in detail. Devastating, thorough, relentless and one of the most beautiful films ever made.

This is an absolute must have if you're at all into Fassbinder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks