What's new

False advertising on the "American Movie Musicals" collection (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I guess I should have known better by doing some actual research here before buying, but that's what I get for trusting packaging.

I couple of months ago I picked up the "American Movie Musicals" collection ("West Side Story", "Fiddler On The Roof", and "Guys And Dolls") at Costco. Bare bones, but that's fine for me. Before buying, I made sure to check the package, and lists WSS as Full Screen, Fiddler and Guys And Dolls as Anamorphic Widescreen. So, everything looks good to me.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that "Guys And Dolls" was not anamorphic. If I knew that, I wouldn't have bought it.

Now, doing my research, it doesn't look like there is an anamorphic version out there. Course, that knowlege doesn't do me a lick of good now.

So, where do I go now to bust MGM or Sony's balls?

Jason

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Costco? I understand they have a very liberal return policy.

- Steve

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
By the way, West Side Story is NOT okay as pan&scan. It is a Super Panavision 70 film with an aspect ratio of 2.20x1.

This box set sounds like garbage.

- Steve

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
This is not necessarily a problem with Sony/MGM/corporate monolith/whatever. Costco seems to package films together like this often or have these packages made for them. While I've never encountered this type of false advertising on their sets, there have been times in the past where the store's outer packaging has completely obscured the specs of the individual discs. Still, Steve is right, Costco does have a very liberal return policy, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. And yes, West Side Story is an abomination in P&S.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I really wonder why Sony even keeps the P&S single-disc Dances with Wolves and West Side Story DVD's in print. Neither film is watchable in P&S. As if any are watchable in P&S...

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I don't think this is deliberate false advertising. Most likely it is just a screw up because the people that design the covers have no idea what the technical designations actually mean.

I see incorrect details on Australian DVD packaging all the time.

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
Exactly. I never understood why they would even release "West Side Story" in a Full Screen edition. What a waste of time. That's a film that relies on it's Wide Screen to covey the beauty of the choreography and movement

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Did they ever bother to fix the lip sync issue with the "Tonight" number in West Side Story?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, considering it was a couple of months ago, and I don't have a receipt, I don't think Costco's liberal return policy is going to count.

This set is available from DDD, so it isn't just a Costco thing.

I do feel embarrised, but you are right, WWS is supposed to be widescreen. It has been a long time since I've seen it. (Not one of my favorites.) So, I'm doubly screwed.

I still think it is pretty awful that they couldn't get the label right.

Jason

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
You would be surprised about Costco's return policy. They keep a record of everything you purchase. From what I understand, no receipt is required.

- Steve

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From www.dvdactive.com :

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced a new deluxe edition of Guys and Dolls which stars Hollywood legends Marlon Brando, Frank Sinatra and Jean Simmons. This classic 1955 musical will be available to own from the 25th April, and should set you back around $24.96.

The film will be presented in 2.55:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. Extras will include Damon Runyon’s Broadway, and Frank Loesser’s Guys and Dolls Documentary, and a Sam Goldwyn’s Guys and Dolls On-Screen Adaptation Featurette.

Artwork at the link above.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Guys and Dolls needed a remaster. I got the original dvd. IT was so bad, I returned it the same day.
This film is what used to be described as a big brassy musical, but thiw master took the brassiness out of the sound. It didn't sound good.
The color was all drained out. The film looks like someone thought this was a film noir. It ain't !!
The speical edition is a good idea, but what a butt ugly cover !!!!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Yes, I noticed that as well. Even for non-anamorphic transfers, it isn't a very good one.

Thanks Steve for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.

Jason

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
That's an understatement. Ugh. And to think the first half dozen times I saw this movie back in the late 70s and early 80s was on commercial television in P & S!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks