What's new

"Factory" input on yamaha receivers used for digital interface for SACD or DVD-A? (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
On my Yamah RX-1200 there is a skinny slot type of input, similar to the wide end of a USB cable, or the sort of cable that cell phones take to link up to a PC. In the manual, it says
this terminal is used for an examination in the factory, do not connect any equipment to this terminal.
What are the chances that this "terminal" could be used as a propriatary digital interface for Yamaha SACD players to be possibly released later this year?

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
>"proprietary digital interface for Yamaha SACD players"

That don't sound too good.

I thought firewire was settled on?

T.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I'm not sure if its been settled on, and I was just speculating about the Yamaha connection. If I recall, before any digital interface was announced, Dennon had announced a propriatary digital interface for the 5803 and its high end players. I think the manufacturers are getting tired of waiting for a "standard"

RicP

Screenwriter
this terminal is used for an examination in the factory, do not connect any equipment to this terminal.
That sounds pretty straightforward to me. I'd say the chances of that input being anything other than what Yamaha states is nil.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yeah, thats kind of what I thought. I'm getting kind of antsy about SACD, but there really hasnt been anything to come out that meets my needs. I want bass management, but not at 120Hz. Hopefully the new Sony and Philips (and other manufacturers) players released this year will have more options.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yeah, I've looked into it, but at a given budget for SACD (say $500) I would think a future $500 SACD player with better bass management would be better than a $250 SACD player and a ICBM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks