What's new

External Hard drive question... (1 Viewer)

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
I have 2 external hard drives from my Dell XPS400 (in addition to my 80 gig internal). One external hard drive is a Western Digital (160gig) the other manufacturer i can't remember, but it's a 300gig. I have my mp3 files on the WD hard drive (this is where my iTunes points to for the music) along w/ backup files from the other drive. My 300gig hd contains art projects, misc. pictures, movies, and a backup of my music files from the WD drive.

What i'm questioning is almost everytime i'm online and right-click/download something, the Western Digital hd kicks in for 5 seconds or so...so there's a slight delay. This happens even when i'm not saving anything to that drive...normally i save things to my C: drive first and then move to a different drive if needed. Sometimes this happens when i'm opening folders from other drives too.

Now why does that external drive start 'becoming active' during these processes??

Hope someone can help...and let me know if you'd need more info from me to diagnose this.

Thanks!!

~Jason

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Its the opperating system mounting all the drives to give you the drive listings in the window that pops up. It doesn't know where you might want to save it to so the OS gathers info about all the drives that are plugged into your system and offers you the choice...its the delay in querying the drives that takes so long.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You might also want to check your power options on the drives, especially the WD. The drive may be going to sleep when idle, and therefore need to be "woken up" anytime you get ready to do a save.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks