What's new

Explorer or Trailblazer? (1 Viewer)

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to get a new car in couple of weeks. I haven't driven either yet, but I have heard good reviews on both. The Trailblazer seems to be getting the best though. I'll have to see for myself this weekend when I test drive them both. Any members who have or driven one please post your experiences here. Thanks.

KyleS

Screenwriter
I have driven both and what I have noticed is this.

Explorer= more room for the driver, passengers, & cargo
Trailblazer= better mileage, acceleration (not by much but some)

The explorer to me was WAY and I do mean Way more stable feeling when I was driving. Once I hit about 65mph+ in the blazer going over hills and corners heading over the mountains it was pretty hairy and the control was terrible. The new explorer I drove 2002 was great. Stopping on both was comparable with a slight edge to the blazer. Dont know if it was the blazer I rented or not but I could hear the transmission in it clunk when I hit the gas with any real acceleration. (mind you it only had 3500 miles on it so pretty much brand new).

So IMHO the Explorer blew the Blazer out of the water. I just couldnt get used to how super soft the suspension on the blazer was when taking a corners, it didnt feel safe and felt out of control at high speeds.

KyleS

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I heard that the Trailblazer was on the soft side. As far as the engine it seems to be rated as best in it's class, with a break in period to about 500 miles. I can't wait to see for myself this weekend. No dought that these two are the only ones I will be considering. Personally I like the look of the Explorer, but the bold look of the Trailblazer seems to be an eye carcher. Interior: I like the Trailblazer's more. I'll be paying with check(cash) so I'm hoping to get a good deal. Man those Trailblazer's are $$$. Needs to definitely come down on the prices...good thing the new model year is rolling over. The Explorer is cheaper, but that's going to be the deciding factor for me.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I personally think GM builds better trucks and SUVs than Ford does. The Fords feel like they're cheaply put together, and for all of Ford's "technology" the GM engines perform better and get better mileage. I don't know how the new Explorers will hold up, but I do know that every older Explorer I've ridden in feels like its on its last legs, while the Blazers and Jimmys still feel strong and stable.

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
I got drive the Trailblazer today and I was impressed. I also drove the Ford Explorer. Well, I simply like the Chevy the most. I've read lots of reviews and it seems to be true that the Chevy's seems to be the more solid of the two. And it definitely has the most power. The only real complaint is the PRICE! The base LS is at $27,000 w/$1,180 convenience package. You could get a XLT for $1,500 more. But here's the trade off...resale value. Ford's have a low resale than Chevy's, as it was explained to me. It really looks like you do pay for what you get, and with the Chevy you get a lot of car for the money. Now I'm waiting for my loan to go through from my bank. This will be my first new car. I've own two so far and they've all been used. I want to make the right choice and get the best value, so five years from now it will hold it's value. I'm hoping my loan goes through.

BTW, I also drove the JEEP Liberty Renegade...Not to shabby.
It's smaller, but man, that's one solid SUV. It will definitely turn a few heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks