What's new

Evil Dead, Which Version do I get? (1 Viewer)

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
OK, I saw the 'Book of the Dead' version of Evil Dead. What about Evil of Dead II and Army of Darkness. I"d been holding off gettin these because I don't want to buy em a few times like some of my other flicks.

Is the Army of Darknes: Dir Cut the 'final se' version? There doesn't appear to be a ED2 Dir Cut or SE.

Thanks

Tom

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Get the Book of the Dead coming in March (me thinks), Get the Evil Dead 2 (Anchor Bay THX edition), and when it comes to Army of Darkness, you can choose the Directors Cut or the Theatrical Cut.

A million and one people complain about the quality of the Director's Cut because it was transfered from a pretty stinky reel it does have all the deleted footage; but it can look like a very bad bleeding VHS transfer at EP mode during some scenes and I heard the overall transfer was weakened to kinda match the inserted scenes.

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
depending on how much of a fan you are of AOD, you might want to skip on the Director's Cut if you are really into the getting the best film quality...While at first being very upset over the quality of the DC bootleg edition (on my 65h80 its at times barely watchable), I finally gave it a chance and forced myself to experience this disk. Im glad I did because there are some pretty cool things on that disc. I have decided to keep both versions. This way I get the best of both worlds....entertainment value and print quality. Besides that being, Im a big fan.

-D

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Avoid the Universal version of "Army Of Darkness" It has the theatrical poster art on the cover. The best DVD of "AoD" is the 2-disc version released by Anchor Bay (with art similar to the Universal release), but that's out of print. However, the first disc of the "Anchor Bay" 2-disc set is widely available. It contains the theatrical cut and the cover features a picture of Evil Ash screaming before Ash cuts him up. The second disc of the 2-disc edition, which featurs the director's cut, has been released seperately twice. The first time, it was a limited-edition version with a Schwarzeneggar-esque painting of Ash on the cover. The second time Disc 2 was released seperately was the "Bootleg" version, with packaging designed to look like a bootleg. That version is readily available as well. So, in summation:

Best Version: Anchor Bay 2-disc (poster art)

Worst Version: Universal single disc(poster art)

The following DVD combinations would have the exact same content as the Anchor Bay 2-disc set with different packaging:

Anchor Bay theatrical cut (screaming Evil Ash) and limited Director's Cut (muscular Ash)

Anchor Bay theatrical cut and bootleg cut (brown bag packaging)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks