What's new

Everybody Loves Raymond video issues (1 Viewer)

lawrence-w

Auditioning
Hello all. I've been lurking here for about a year and a half but finally decided to join in on the conversation.

I haven't seen this covered anywhere else so forgive me if I overlooked it. I have all 5 season sets of Everybody Loves Raymond and the box set of all seasons of Sex and the City. I keep noticing a screen flicker at intermittent points in the episodes. This usually occurs with a camera angle change, but not exclusively. Is this something that can be corrected or does it have to do with HBO's dvd production? Thanks in advance.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Lawrence,
I'm glad you brought this up, since this problem has been bothering me for years with these sets. I recently finished the Raymond Season 5 set, which also suffers from this problem.

I think it's because the discs are not "flagged" for proper display. Both shows were shot on film, but were edited on video. I have tried them on several different players in my home, all with the same results. The only way to avoid the annoying "flicker" is to set the DVD player to "video" mode, instead of "auto" or "film" modes. Unfortunately, the resulting image quality is reduced, suffering from severe aliasing. They look terrible when blown up on my largest screen.

It's too bad, because Raymond has otherwise nice transfers. I haven't come across anyone else addressing the problem. Maybe the problem is so slight that others aren't bothered, or we have DVD players that are somehow sensitive to these particular discs. It's rare, but it's been known to occur.

lawrence-w

Auditioning
Thanks for the response. I'm just glad that someone else has noticed it. It is quite frustrating because the video quality is excellent compared to other shows. Guess I'll just have to get past it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks