What's new

Er 4/1/04 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Romano returns! Well, actually it's really Paul McCrane who directed this episode.

Highlights:

1. Susan gets hit on by a creepy dude who likes hitting on pregnant women (it would seem) at a nearby pub after her shift and being picked up by Chuck. Chuck sees what the creep to doing to Susan and punches him out. Later they bring the creepy guy into the ER for treatment and Chuck gets into it with the guy again and they flair around while another patient enjoys the sprawling fight on the floor of their room. Susan finally lets the creepy guy snuggle next to her belly so he can derive some weird form of pleasure from it, and mouths to Chuck through the window that "he owes her big time" for putting up with it in order to get the guy to not press charges on Chuck for assualt.

2. Luka and Sam try to come up with ideas for her son's birthday. After a lot of standard suggestions (clowns, paintball, etc), Luke pulls into the ER driveway with a big ol' winnebago for a weekend getaway on some lodge/camp/lake. Sam is duly impressed.

3. Luka's main patient case was about a father finding out that his son has sickle cell anemia, but the father does not, so it's pretty obvious that his son isn't biologically his son, and he acknowledges that he and his wife were separate near the time of conception. Both Luka and the father keep this secret to themselves as the father will claim that he also has the gene for sickle cell anemia (to explain the situation to his wife).

4. Frank shows up to pick up his checks and to admit that he misses the ER. Aw....

5. Neela takes a break outside the ER with Gallant, and she talks about how she doesn't think she's cut out for medicine given her recent rotations. Gallant tries to assuage her fears about medicine. Some minor romantic undertones are present.

6. Carter discusses Neela with the higher-ups (like Weaver) w/r/t the match program (when hospitals make offers to med school candidates they want to retain), the consensus is that she's strong on the medical knowledge, but lacking in decision making and assertiveness. Carter has confidence in Neela, and tells her to be more assertive in her decisions. Of course this results in Neela pulling some hasty decisions that impacts her and Gallant, who was the one supervising her on her shift. Neela didn't do the due diligence in getting a meds history on a patient, and she administered demerol to the patient and it caused a reaction with the new current meds the patient was on, which resulted in complications, and Gallant tried to take the fall for Neela.

As the patient's complication gets worse, Weaver has to deal with the legal issues, and is confronted with 3 different stories by Carter, Neela and Gallant (Abby was there in a nurse capacity). Neela tells Carter what she knows of the situation. Neela also tells Gallant that she told Carter, which produces a lot of anxiety on Gallant's part. Whatever hint of a romantic connection between them is all but on hold as this situation quickly escalated into something that will be reviewed and careers will be impacted. Both Neela and Gallant are emotionally crushed by this situation.

Gallant keeps trying to cover things up on the med chart for the patient. This wasn't the thing to do as Carter confronts Gallant at the end of his shift. It got a little confusing as to what Gallant's fate is because Carter told Gallant that he (Gallant) should have told him about the lack of patient history workup and administering meds without utilizing a nurse to push the meds. Then Carters tells him that falsifying a med chart is a felony and that the chart has already made its way into the legal department. Gallant's sort of screwed by this point. I'm guessing he'll get reprimanded and punishment doled out in some form or another, but Neela's career will remain on track for now. (It's one of those bittersweet "No good deed goes unpunished" situations).

7. Corday has become somewhat promiscuous by dating and jumping the 2 men she's been seeing (the doctor, and the guy who picks up Ella from school/daycare). Abby keeps her opinion of Corday to herself, but it's readily apparent. :)

8. In a lighter moment, a catholic school girl has some injuries treated, and they came from when she beat up a flasher who was flashing her and her schoolmates at school. The flasher shows up at the ER with injuries consistent with the injuries that the schoolgirl inflicted on someone (including a tennis racket welt on the face). The flasher sees the girl who hit him, and decides to try and sneak out of the ER, but another schoolgirl, waiting in the wait room with her classmates and a nun, spots the flasher. The next thing you see is the flasher sneaking out of the ER ambulance entrance and all the schoolgirls come running after him, and they trip him up and proceed to beat him up with their tennis rackets. It was a funny gag in light of the rest of the episode.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
My daughter was distracting me right at the end so I didn't get the full gist of the Gallant conversation with Carter. It sounded like Gallant was pretty much in major trouble. However, I did notice Gallant in the preview for next week's episode. Confusing...

Tony_La

Stunt Coordinator
Sharif Atkins is on his way out, I read somewhere that he has joined the cast of a new show. So this episode was the beginning of the end for Gallant. I would think that with his Military Reserve duties will be called into service.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Some interesting situations, a bit predictable though. How did we know that when Carter tried to pep Neela to show more assertiveness that something very bad was going to happen.

I've recently watched the 1st season on DVD and now when I watch this season I am seeing a few recycled elements in terms of story. For example the Luka, Sam and the kid triangle is pretty similar to the storyline around George Clooney, The risk management woman and the kid from season one to me. I wonder if Luka is going to do something to screw up this relationship in an upcoming episode. This new storyline around Neela and Gallant and what should be the inevitable aftermath seems to be reminicent of "Love's Labor Lost"

Unfortunately, it seems like ER is beginning to show its age. I'm not quite as interested as I used to be.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Patrick obviously is on top of this show. I'm a little confused. I mentioned a year or 2 ago that the local NBC affiliate here in the SF Bay Area quit NBC and now I can barely recieve it. (I have no cable or satalite, by choice) When I can catch it I watch it and I was finally able to see the re-run when Romano gets crushed a few weeks ago.

The confusion arises as the local ABC affiliate shows syndicated ER 2 episodes back to back Sunday nights at 11:30pm and I've been watching then for the past 2 years. So far what I've seen since NBC left is Abby and Carter get together and saw the storyline with Sally Field as Abby's mom. The Dr. Green brain cancer shows I finally saw and understand now. And then there was the Doc with Parkinson's disease that came and went. Then recently they showed the one Luka had a car crash in his Viper as he's going through his self loathing and finally comes back. WHo was the girl he injures whose riding in the car? The stuff in Africa I missed a little but saw that Romano was liking Luka's new found efficiency upon his return. And then I was surprised to see Weaver come out and see the firefighter girl and they try to have a baby. I did see the show when Romano loses his arm fianlly and the shows where Dr. Lewis sees her husband she married and left the same night(?!) Then the story line with Abby's brother I finally caught up with when she and her mother are worried as he dissappears and now it looks like he's back. Carter proposes to Abby after a false start at the restaurant. The last I saw was Dr. Chen is sleeping with Pratt (is that his name) and Corday sleeping with a guy who turns out to be married. And Carter's Grand mother passes, he seemed overly upset that Abby didn't stand by him at his lose while she's chasing her brother.

And last night; I guess Dr. Lewis is happy to stick around and stay with the paramedic guy she married last year or something? Looks like Corday is sex starved and enjoying her singleness. And Carter is off to Africa again, is he quiting the show?

After what I saw last night, it looks like the syndicated shows I'm seeing is about a year off. A lot happened and a lot of new faces in the past 2 years. Thanks for indulging my lengthy synopisis.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

He was just supposed to be going for a week or so I think, to visit his girlfriend/fiancee.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks