What's new

Equalizer question (1 Viewer)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I have a Sony STRDE845 receiver and I want to hook up a graphic equalizer into it so I have a little more control over the audio when I listen to my music. I have no intention of messing with it while watching movies.
My receiver does not have a Tape Loop or a specific EQ input/output on the back, so I figured I could hook it inline inbetween my CD player and the CD input on my receiver. However, most EQs use analog RCA plugs. Does there exist a model of EQ that will input and output a TOSLINK optical digital connection?
If so, can anyone recommend a good model to check out.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I personally know of no EQ's with digital in/out, however, there probably are some from the Pro Audio world. That said, it will probably not be cheap. I pesonally run an Audio Control Bijoux on all 6 channels of my rig.
I do NOT know anything about your reciever, but I would be quite surprised that ANY reciever would not have at least one tape loop.
Perhaps others that have this unit can chime in.
BL

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mike,
I’m afraid you are out of luck. No one makes a digital equalizer that you will be able to use for this application. TOSLINK is a digital interface used only in consumer gear. As far as I know, all professional digital equalizers use analog balanced ins and outs or RS-232 control ports. The only digital EQ for consumer home theater, the AudioControl Diva, uses RS-232 and RCA ins and outs. Therefore the only way you can use your EQ is if you switch to analog connections and insert it in-line after your CD player. Even if you had a traditional tape monitor loop, it would do you know good for this, because you can’t mix and match digital and analog signal paths.
Brian,
While late model Sony receivers have tape ins and outs, it’s true that most (if not all) do not have a traditional tape-monitor loop where a processor could be connected. I’m confident Sony is not the only one to do this. My flagship Yamaha has two sets of audio tape ins and outs, but only one tape monitor loop.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the clarification Wayne. I mistakenly confused Tape Inputs with the ability to Monitor those inputs.
I guess its a feature that most users will not need, but having had three head tape decks and various processors in my rig for the last 20 years or so, I incorrectly assumed that it was a standard feature.
I had another 1/2 baked thought on how to do this. If the reciever has a second zone output (normally used to send audio to a remote room), you might be able to send that to your EQ, and then bring the EQ output to the Tape In.
As I said, I know zero about your reciever, so this may be of no help, but I thought I would suggest it.
My Marantz SR-96 has such an output, and I use that to send a analog input to an outboard DD processor.
Best of Luck,
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks