What's new
World Wide Stereo

EQ hookup to A/V receiver (1 Viewer)

terry22357

Auditioning
Real Name
Terry
I just hooked up my new Onkyo TX-SR604 A/V receiver. My question is... can I hook up an EQ? There is only 1 tape channel and no tape monitor as I have used in the past.
Also, I was hooking up the TV to the receiver with the (3) gold tipped cables when I accidentally pulled the red one apart. I used a regular RCA cable to replace it. Everything works (CD,radio, etc) except, in the home theater mode. The channel that is hooked up to the RCA cable hisses but does not provide any sound. I am in hopes that a new cable will fix the problem? Any comments?
TIA!
Terry

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You might as well try a different cable and see what happens.

As far as the external EQ, that is a piece of equipment that isn't exactly functional in the modern HT environment. Sell it, trash it, or build a shrine to it.

terry22357

Auditioning
Real Name
Terry
Thanks, The new cable fixed the problem.

The EQ however is a something that I like to use to tweak the frequencies since the AV receiver does not do a great job as far as I'm concerned.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
The EQ you are talking about is most likely a stereo unit. While you could hook it up somehow, and use it for some things, it would of course only do 2 channels. What about your center, surrounds, and sub?

The only way to handle all that is to use a component system, and connect EQ between each pre/pro output and the amps that drive the speakers.

OR - if you have a multi-channel (about 8) that has optical ins and outs, then you could connect such a unit in between your optical out on a DVD player and the optical in on your rcvr.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Like Chuck said, you would need a 5 or 7 channel EQ, the same number of amp channels as well as the appropriate tools to measure and set the EQ. Just 'tweaking' an EQ nothing more than guessing at the sound. TrueRTA sofware and a calibrated mic is a start.

-Robert

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Just in case you weren't aware of it, the 604 has it's own internal 5 band EQ, adjustable for each speaker. Audessy sets it automatically but you can set it yourself manually if you prefer. See page 71.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks