What's new

Episodes of Classic TV Shows Out Of Syndication (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have many 16mm daytime, re-run prints in my collection, dating from the early 60’s onward. They do have two-three minutes edited out, and often sloppily. These were used to fill time during day and any extra money the network could pull in from numerous sponsors, they took it.

With regard to “Our Miss Brooks”, you can tell where the edited scene was by the generic three-note transition music they used. Always on a fade.

Exactly. Daytime reruns were always cut for commercial time. That's why game shows that ran in the daytime are always shorter than prime time shows from a similar era.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Actually, it's 2 and a half hours...

Yes, 20th Television did cut the TV Movie into 5-episodes and it was made available to the stations at some point in that format.

The finale was also put out on VHS and Beta so it was available in some format.

Bare running time with no commercials (on the DVD) is 2 hours and 18 seconds.

When it originally aired on CBS, it filled 2½ hours. They started the airing at 8:30 PM and it finished at the 11:00 news (Eastern).

MeTV has aired the finale a few times, but not within the normal 7 PM showings of the series. They usually make a prime-time special out of it.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Bare running time with no commercials (on the DVD) is 2 hours and 18 seconds.

When it originally aired on CBS, it filled 2½ hours. They started the airing at 8:30 PM and it finished at the 11:00 news (Eastern).

MeTV has aired the finale a few times, but not within the normal 7 PM showings of the series. They usually make a prime-time special out of it.
When Me-TV showed it, their presentation was in a 3-hour timeslot, with interviews from cast members that were still alive at the time of the Me-TV airing.

~Ben

Last edited:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of M*A*S*H, what about After M*A*S*H? Did it ever get syndicated at any point? I know there are some episodes available on YouTube.

I'm pretty certain AfterMASH was run on one of the basic cable channels around 1985-86 (I seem to have faint memories of seeing it on the "big dish" that we got for Christmas in 1985), just don't remember which one. Possibly Nickelodeon, CBN or USA. Don't think it got any "local" syndication, though (like how Three's a Crowd got re-titled and added to the Three's Company package in some markets).

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I'm pretty certain AfterMASH was run on one of the basic cable channels around 1985-86 (I seem to have faint memories of seeing it on the "big dish" that we got for Christmas in 1985), just don't remember which one. Possibly Nickelodeon, CBN or USA. Don't think it got any "local" syndication, though (like how Three's a Crowd got re-titled and added to the Three's Company package in some markets).

I remember "Three's A Crowd" was repeated on USA Network under its original title, then was added to the syndicated "Three's Company" series as "Three's Company, Too."

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise

Too bad it was before I got cable in 1988. I thought the first season wasn't bad; didn't like the changes made in the second. Would still like to see one episode I missed half of and of course the one episode CBS didn't show.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I remember "Three's A Crowd" was repeated on USA Network under its original title, then was added to the syndicated "Three's Company" series as "Three's Company, Too."

I remember the two season premieres of The Ropers syndicated as Three's Company episodes with the usual Three's Company third season opening credits but keeping the Ropers closing credits.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I remember the two season premieres of The Ropers syndicated as Three's Company episodes with the usual Three's Company third season opening credits but keeping the Ropers closing credits.

They had the visuals of the original closings but the Three's Company theme dubbed over them. The rest of the Ropers episodes ran as "Three's Company's Friends, The Ropers," also with the original audio redubbed. Later they played on Antenna TV in their original form.

Kind of bugs me that The Ropers and Three's A Crowd never made it to DVD. And the two Ropers episodes which were syndicated under Three's Company weren't included as extras.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
When I started collecting 40 years ago, the following were unavailable, but now are, either via DVD or over the air:

My Three Sons - seasons 1-5, 11-12
Gunsmoke - hour black and white episodes
Bonanza - 171 "lost" episodes
Joey Bishop Show - season one
Danny Thomas Show - seasons 4, 10, 11
Petticoat Junction - first 2 seasons
Man From UNCLE - 6 episodes
Sergeant Bilko - 4 episodes
Mannix - seasons 1, 8, half of season 7
Twilight Zone - 5 episodes
Wagon Train - part of season 4, 5, 6, 8
Have Gun Will Travel - part of season 4, 5, 6

Still unavailable:

Dragnet - 276 black and white shows
Danny Thomas Show - Seasons 1-3
Our Miss Brooks -3 episodes
The Millionaire - 18 episodes
Donna Reed Show - seasons 6, 7
Ozzie & Harriet - don't know the number but still many shows have never reaired.

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
When I started collecting 40 years ago, the following were unavailable, but now are, either via DVD or over the air:

Still unavailable:

Ozzie & Harriet - don't know the number but still many shows have never reaired.
The first of the three missing episodes of “Our Miss Brooks” is included on volume two of the season one release by CBS.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas

Still unavailable:

Don't forget "East Side, West Side. Would love to see that again.

TheLogoGuy94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joshua
Has anybody mentioned the Screen Gems series "Shannon"? I have two 16mm prints of the series out of the 36 episodes that were produced. They're originals from 1961. I've only seen a couple episodes on YouTube, but nowhere else.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Has anybody mentioned the Screen Gems series "Shannon"? I have two 16mm prints of the series out of the 36 episodes that were produced. They're originals from 1961. I've only seen a couple episodes on YouTube, but nowhere else.

Not relevant to this thread which is episodes of series which are not included in their syndication packages.

TheLogoGuy94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joshua
Not relevant to this thread which is episodes of series which are not included in their syndication packages.
I forgot the topic to my own thread. :emoji_unamused: For some reason I assumed the discussion also involved series that haven't been seen in a while.

Concerning "The Millionaire," I have maybe 3 of the 18 excluded episodes; they were included in a homemade DVD set. The quality on those is horrendous. I don't know why they're not included with the current package.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I forgot the topic to my own thread. :emoji_unamused: For some reason I assumed the discussion also involved series that haven't been seen in a while.

Concerning "The Millionaire," I have maybe 3 of the 18 excluded episodes; they were included in a homemade DVD set. The quality on those is horrendous. I don't know why they're not included with the current package.

I assume it was because they wanted to have a smaller number of episodes syndicated, although I don't really see the differnece between 188 (current package) or 206 (amount produced). I can't see any particular reason why those 18 shows were singled out for exclusion. Usually it has to do with tyring to get to a certain number, like Mannix (130) or Bonanza (260).

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Didn't realize the later seasons of "Danny Thomas Show" are/were available on DVD ??

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Didn't realize the later seasons of "Danny Thomas Show" are/were available on DVD ??

The post I imagine you read said "when I started collecting 40 years ago, the following were unavailable, but now are, either via DVD or over the air".

I imagine he's referencing the transfers that were done for the deal for the show to air on COZI a few years ago.

DVD releases allegedly were happening, but obviously nothing ever came out. So this show remains one of the biggest absences for classic TV on DVD, with only two season sets available (And only one of those in complete form).

Last edited:

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The post I imagine you read said "when I started collecting 40 years ago, the following were unavailable, but now are, either via DVD or over the air".

I imagine he's referencing the transfers that were done for the deal for the show to air on COZI a few years ago.

DVD releases allegedly were happening, but obviously nothing ever came out. So this show remains one of the biggest absences for classic TV on DVD, with only two season sets available (And only one of those in complete form).

The good news is that when the new transfers were done for COZI, besides the under 21 minute, wrong aspect ratio 16x9 transfers, they also did them complete and in 4x3. The bad news is that after the death of Stanley Moger, who syndicated the shows with his company, SFM, the series is now kind of in limbo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks