What's new

Episodes of Classic TV Shows Out Of Syndication (1 Viewer)

Tom.W

Second Unit
Did Our Miss Brooks air on CBS daytime? Could they have actually edited the master negatives and not dupes for more commercials for the Daytime run?

I checked my copies of tv listings between 1955 and 1958 and found no daytime CBS airings of Our Miss Brooks (reruns). The syndicated airings begin to show up in January 1958.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I checked my copies of tv listings between 1955 and 1958 and found no daytime CBS airings of Our Miss Brooks (reruns). The syndicated airings begin to show up in January 1958.

hmmm...this is now a mystery. :)

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
howard hughes
Did Our Miss Brooks air on CBS daytime? Could they have actually edited the master negatives and not dupes for more commercials for the Daytime run?

As someone who watched a lot of daytime reruns when i was down with a broken leg back in 1959, i can say with certainty that extra cuts to fill time with commercials was not a thing and would not be for about 20 more years, the daytime reruns consisted of the same 4:30 minutes worth of commercials as their primetime counterparts. So whatever editing was done to our miss brooks was probably done in the 80s.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
That's what was done to I Love Lucy though.

While there were certainly cuts made for reasons other than adding additional time for commercials (With the original introductions an obvious example), cuts were still made to add commercial time circa 1960.

One example that sticks out since I'm a railfan is a short view of the dining room under glass in the dome of one of Union Pacific's vista dome diners in the episode where they're traveling home from Hollywood aboard the City of Los Angeles. This was edited out way back then when it was first prepared for syndication (With it even cut from the negatives) and was only able to be restored in recent years thanks to a 16 mm station print.

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Has the M*A*S*H two-hour series finale, "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen," ever been seen as four half-hour episodes in syndication in some markets?

I know for the most part it was not seen in local syndication until the TV show's 20th anniversary in 1992, and only in the rare 2-hour "Movie of the Week" timeslot.

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Also, the season 12 premiere of 5-O, "Lion in the Street," was two hours long. It was the only one of the 19 episodes not re-broadcast on CBS during the series' short-lived mid-1980s re-runs (under the McGarrett title) on the Late Night block.

Probably not rerun because it would have to be a ninety-minute-or-so block?

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
howard hughes
That's what was done to I Love Lucy though.

While there were certainly cuts made for reasons other than adding additional time for commercials (With the original introductions an obvious example), cuts were still made to add commercial time circa 1960.

One example that sticks out since I'm a railfan is a short view of the dining room under glass in the dome of one of Union Pacific's vista dome diners in the episode where they're traveling home from Hollywood aboard the City of Los Angeles. This was edited out way back then when it was first prepared for syndication (With it even cut from the negatives) and was only able to be restored in recent years thanks to a 16 mm station print.

I know of the quick cuts to i love lucy but daytime tv rerun commercials for all 3 networks of the in the b&w era consisted almost entirely of bumpers for primetime & daytime programming since the conventional wisdom of the time was that you couldn't even give daytime commercial slots away let alone get paid for them, so its highly likely these 10 15 second edits were made for purposes other than to fit in time for nonexistant commercial money.

the point i was trying to make is not that minor edits were never made to tv shows but that cutting shows by 1-5 minutes was a invention of very late 70s and became standard practice once cable became commonplace in 80s because cable proved that big money could made in daytime programming.

Last edited:

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
minor edits were never made to tv shows but that cutting shows by 1-5 minutes was a invention of very late 70s

I have many 16mm daytime, re-run prints in my collection, dating from the early 60’s onward. They do have two-three minutes edited out, and often sloppily. These were used to fill time during day and any extra money the network could pull in from numerous sponsors, they took it.

With regard to “Our Miss Brooks”, you can tell where the edited scene was by the generic three-note transition music they used. Always on a fade.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I have many 16mm daytime, re-run prints in my collection, dating from the early 60’s onward. They do have two-three minutes edited out, and often sloppily. These were used to fill time during day and any extra money the network could pull in from numerous sponsors, they took it.

With regard to “Our Miss Brooks”, you can tell where the edited scene was by the generic three-note transition music they used. Always on a fade.
There is the sad fact that broadcast television is not an entertainment medium but an advertising medium.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I’ve noticed that two episodes of "The Beverly Hillbillies" have recently been removed from syndication. They’re both from Season 08. They’re episodes 18 and 19. The last time S08 aired around October/November 2018, these episodes didn't air. When S08 aired this August, they didn't air again. I remember seeing E18 air back around 2014 or 2015. I've been collecting the Me-TV airings of the seasons not yet on DVD (S06-S09) and those 2 episodes are all that I'm missing.

S08 E18 is "Marry Me, Shorty". S08 E19 is "Shorty Spits the Hook". According to YouTube postings of Hallmark airings, it appears that E18 and E19 have many themes of slavery in them. In E18, all of the secretaries of Mr. Drysdale's bank are dressed as "harem girls" for Shorty's bachelor party. This episode also features a slave auction. In E19, the same themes of slavery are mentioned, and in one scene, Mr. Drysdale stands over one of his secretaries (whom happens to be black) with a whip, and she's dressed in a kinky pink slave outfit. She screams "Please Master! Don't hit me with that whip!"

I'm going to say that's why these were withdrawn from syndication: mentions of slavery and slave auctions.
You hit the nail on the head. ONE PERSON complained to Me-TV about it. A friend pointed it out to me on Facebook. A number of us went to bat for the episodes in question, and more than one person told the woman that if she was offended, don't watch it. Instead of listening to the multiple people who said let it stay, Me-TV gave her a full apology for being offended, and they promised it would never be shown again. I have the broadcast length episode of one the ones along that theme, "Simon Legree Drysdale." The black secretary wasn't treated any different because she was black. Not one racial slur was uttered, nor was there any notion of Drysdale treating her differently because she was black. Her brothers came to visit her at what they thought was the hotel for women (the Clampett mansion-more proof of the silliness of those last 2 seasons). The typical misunderstandings occurred with the secretary loving the way of life the Clampetts lived and wanted to help out since she had missed work. Her brothers misconstrued the whole scenario to be something it wasn't, and Drysdale got his "comeuppance" for it. He went back to the mansion with the brothers who summarily locked him in the cage they were keeping Jethro in and made him swallow the key. There was absolutely nothing at all racist about the premise; if anything, the black characters gave Drysdale the treatment he'd been deserving for years!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Has the M*A*S*H two-hour series finale, "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen," ever been seen as four half-hour episodes in syndication in some markets?

I know for the most part it was not seen in local syndication until the TV show's 20th anniversary in 1992, and only in the rare 2-hour "Movie of the Week" timeslot.

~Ben

Actually, it's 2 and a half hours...

Yes, 20th Television did cut the TV Movie into 5-episodes and it was made available to the stations at some point in that format.

The finale was also put out on VHS and Beta so it was available in some format.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

But when were they edited if they supposedly didn't get a daytime run on CBS...The presence of "new transition music" shows they WERE edited skillfully and for a reason.

Meaning for some reason they were edited and long before Viacom did their editing/new prints in 1980's - and all they would do would cut full scenes (Watch any of the syndicated 22:30 length TWILIGHT ZONE episodes), Not just parts, and didn't add any new music cues.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Actually, it's 2 and a half hours...

Yes, 20th Television did cut the TV Movie into 5-episodes and it was made available to the stations at some point in that format.

The finale was also put out on VHS and Beta so it was available in some format.
Wow... just as long as House on Greenapple Road (the TV movie that launched the series Dan August)!

~Ben

Last edited:

Jay_Z_525

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
But when were they edited if they supposedly didn't get a daytime run on CBS...The presence of "new transition music" shows they WERE edited skillfully and for a reason.

Meaning for some reason they were edited and long before Viacom did their editing/new prints in 1980's - and all they would do would cut full scenes (Watch any of the syndicated 22:30 length TWILIGHT ZONE episodes), Not just parts, and didn't add any new music cues.
It’s certainly puzzling. Now, doing a little more research, it seems that from October of 1956 thru 1957 OMB did air during the afternoons on CBS. Check out http://daytimetvarchive.com/grids/1957.html
How accurate this is, I don’t know.

Last edited:

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I remember watching HAWAII FIVE-O reruns on WOR in the mid-80s on more than one occasion where the 16mm print actually melted and burned up on-screen and they went to commercials for an extended period of time. I presume they had to remove the bad portion and splice it back together.
It least it wasn't a flammable nitrate print!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Speaking of M*A*S*H, what about After M*A*S*H? Did it ever get syndicated at any point? I know there are some episodes available on YouTube.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The first and last years of "Mannix" were never syndicated originally nor I believe was the final year of "The FBI" part of the package that aired on GoodLife a decade ago.

When I first read this, I thought Mannix was based on the late Eddie Mannix of MGM. I Googled Mannix quickly discovered otherwise :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks