What's new

Episodes of Classic TV Shows Out Of Syndication (1 Viewer)

Davis2

Auditioning
Real Name
John Wilson
Frank the reason is that programmers thought that no one would want to watch black and white episodes. And it's possible that the color episodes outrated the B&W episodes. But, really they were cutting their nose off to spite their face. With the black and white episodes you have 98 Gilligan's Island in the package. Without them, you only have 62. It had to have hurt the ratings in the long run to be repeating episodes so often.

Last edited:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
What about dramas done that way too. Shows like Wild Wild West, Voyage, and The Fugitive that started in B/W. Did they remove eps of those too? I honestly don't remember.

I can say that in my experience, watching reruns of THE WILD WILD WEST in syndication in different markets (Boston area in the 1970s, Waterbury CT area in the 1980s, on TNT in the 1990s) that the b&w first season was always part of the package. I didn't see THE FUGITIVE until A&E ran it in the early 1990s, but I think that all four seasons remained together, though maybe it wasn't syndicated as much in the 1970s/80s, as it was predominately a b&w drama. If I remember correctly, all four seasons of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA ran on local Hartford, CT television in the mid-1980s, and certainly all were present when The Sci-Fi Channel picked it up in the 1990s. LOST IN SPACE was also completely intact, b&w and color episodes together, when I saw it locally in Boston in the 1970s, and on USA Network and Sci-Fi in the 1980s and 1990s.

Come to think of it, the filmed, post-Honor Blackman AVENGERS episodes, the b&w Emma Peel, color Emma Peel, and the subsequent Tara King episodes, ran locally on WABC Channel 7 in NYC in the early 1980s, on A&E in the early 1990s and on Encore-Mystery in the 1990s and 2000s. Perhaps only the color episodes ran on the CBS Late Night Movie in the late 1970s, but I'm not sure on that point.

One anomaly I saw was with reruns of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour; I think all the episodes ran on USA Network in the late 1980s, and in syndication before that. However, when Encore-Mystery picked it up in the late-1990s/early-2000s, several key episodes ("An Unlocked Window", "Where the Woodbine Twineth", "The Magic Shop", "Lonely Place", etc) were missing from the package, ditto when Hallmark and TV Land briefly picked it up afterward. But when Chiller channel ran it, all the episodes were back. Perhaps there were literary rights involved with certain episodes, that needed to be ironed out, I dunno.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
[QUOTE="Jack P, post: 4201351, member: 329179"[Love, American Style] was stalled because CBS can't find the masters of the original hour long version for S2 onward. Why should they license it out to Shout or any other label just to release compromised half-hour syndicated cut episodes?[/QUOTE]

It would probably cost millions to put them back together again, assuming they still exist in any form. Putting The Brady Bunch back together to the network length versions for DVD required settling for substandard sources; would this be a similar case? And were any of the segments repeats to begin with, like say doubling up a new segment with an old one?

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Let me get this straight...

The first six seasons of Gunsmoke (1955-1961) were originally re-ran with the Marshal Dillon re-titling on CBS starting from when the first one-hour year, season seven, began in the fall of 1961. It was not until 1964 that these first 233 episodes, all 1/2-hours, were syndicated per se; this syndicated run ended in the mid-1980s. These would for the most part not be seen again until specialty cable channels such as Encore Westerns and Me-TV began re-running them, under both the original Gunsmoke and re-titled Marshal Dillon versions.

Seasons seven through eleven (1961-1966) were not re-ran until circa 1983, and even then was only confined to a few episodes, before Encore Westerns had shown all 176 episodes from this package.

And finally, we come to the part of the run most widely seen in syndication: the nine color seasons (twelve through twenty, 1966-1975), as all 226 of these episodes were re-ran.

~Ben

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
When USA first ran Lost in Space, they started with the color episodes. It took them months, if not a year, to finally get around to running the first season.

WTBS always ran black and white seasons, to my knowledge. I always saw I Dream of Jeannie and LIS's b&w episodes. WTNH in CT also ran then b&w Jeannie's. Uncut, if I recall correctly.

Meanwhile, for some reason, ME-TV keeps skipping certain episodes of Bonanza. They only run four out of the five Guy Williams episodes. It's among his best dramatic TV work, so losing any of them is a shame.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
USA originally intended to run only the color Lost in Space episodes, but finally reran the B&Ws due to viewer demand. At least, that’s what their marketing department said.

WTBS managed to hang onto the B&W Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie episodes longer than most, but by the late 80s, they were gone. At some point, their old Columbia package expired and they had to take the new one from the Program Exchange, which didn’t offer the B&Ws.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
USA originally intended to run only the color Lost in Space episodes, but finally reran the B&Ws due to viewer demand. At least, that’s what their marketing department said.

WTBS managed to hang onto the B&W Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie episodes longer than most, but by the late 80s, they were gone. At some point, their old Columbia package expired and they had to take the new one from the Program Exchange, which didn’t offer the B&Ws.

Yep.

By the time I started paying attention in the '90s, Nick at Nite had the two B&W seasons of Bewitched, TBS had the color seasons.

Also, all three seasons of Gilligan's Island ran complete on TBS by that time, because Mr. Turner had broken out his crayons and made season 1 color.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
One anomaly I saw was with reruns of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour; I think all the episodes ran on USA Network in the late 1980s, and in syndication before that. However, when Encore-Mystery picked it up in the late-1990s/early-2000s, several key episodes ("An Unlocked Window", "Where the Woodbine Twineth", "The Magic Shop", "Lonely Place", etc) were missing from the package, ditto when Hallmark and TV Land briefly picked it up afterward. But when Chiller channel ran it, all the episodes were back. Perhaps there were literary rights involved with certain episodes, that needed to be ironed out, I dunno.

When AHH ran again several years ago on Encore, the only episode they were missing was To Catch a Butterfly, which I filled in with a 16mm film transfer.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Although they do sometimes skip for content, it has been well-documented (on their own forum, before it was closed down a few years back) that they also (quite frequently) skip for tape damage reasons. The Fremantle (Goodson-Todman) library shows on digital tape are three episodes per cassette. So, if a tape is damaged, GSN will skip anywhere between one and three episodes, depending on where the damage is. If the damage only occurs somewhere during the last episode on the tape, they only skip that one episode (so the machine won't have to run forward or backward through the damaged spot). If the second episode contains damage, they skip both of the last two episodes (again, so their expensive playback equipment doesn't have to pass the damaged section through the mechanism). If the first episode has damage, then all three are skipped.

Back around 1999, WCIU-Channel 26 in Chicago was running "Hogan's Heroes." I remember one episode (don't know which one) joined the theme song "in progress" and at the very beginning (for a second or two) it looked like a tape that had been partially erased up to that spot.

Of course, HH was produced on film, but I wonder at what level this happened -- did someone in the station's master control screw up, or was a broadcast tape sent to them that way?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Back around 1999, WCIU-Channel 26 in Chicago was running "Hogan's Heroes." I remember one episode (don't know which one) joined the theme song "in progress" and at the very beginning (for a second or two) it looked like a tape that had been partially erased up to that spot.

Of course, HH was produced on film, but I wonder at what level this happened -- did someone in the station's master control screw up, or was a broadcast tape sent to them that way?

Could be any one of a number of reasons. Tape crease, someone accidentally erased the tape, switcher problems, etc.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
On the ME-TV run of Trackdown, they omit an episode called The End of the World about a snake oil salesman who hoodwinks an entire town with a load of bullshit.

I swear they did earlier in the year! I know I specifically DVRed it. Of course, my HD died, so I lost it, was waiting for it to run again. Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You guys know our rules. Yet, you went ahead and disregarded them anyway with your political comments. To me, it shows your disrespect towards the membership, owners and moderator staff. I've deleted those posts and further disciplinary action is being considered in this matter.

Last edited:

TheLogoGuy94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joshua
I’ve noticed that two episodes of "The Beverly Hillbillies" have recently been removed from syndication. They’re both from Season 08. They’re episodes 18 and 19. The last time S08 aired around October/November 2018, these episodes didn't air. When S08 aired this August, they didn't air again. I remember seeing E18 air back around 2014 or 2015. I've been collecting the Me-TV airings of the seasons not yet on DVD (S06-S09) and those 2 episodes are all that I'm missing.

S08 E18 is "Marry Me, Shorty". S08 E19 is "Shorty Spits the Hook". According to YouTube postings of Hallmark airings, it appears that E18 and E19 have many themes of slavery in them. In E18, all of the secretaries of Mr. Drysdale's bank are dressed as "harem girls" for Shorty's bachelor party. This episode also features a slave auction. In E19, the same themes of slavery are mentioned, and in one scene, Mr. Drysdale stands over one of his secretaries (whom happens to be black) with a whip, and she's dressed in a kinky pink slave outfit. She screams "Please Master! Don't hit me with that whip!"

I'm going to say that's why these were withdrawn from syndication: mentions of slavery and slave auctions.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I don't believe they're been withdrawn from syndication. Paraphrasing what I read some months ago, someone at this board said that they had saw a single complaint on MeTV's Facebook page about one of the Shorty episodes, with MeTV promptly replying that they wouldn't show it again.

I suspect this is just a result of that overreaction.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
A few more that I thought of.

The original Hawaii Five-O package had 200 episodes in it, omitting all of the multi-parters with the exception of the Vachon trilogy. They then put together another package with the remaining 80+ shows which left out Bored She Hung Herself and I believe also To Hell With Babe Ruth. Not sure how they sell the show now but probably either the full package or the smaller 200 show one are options.

The SWAT 2-hour pilot from The Rookies wasn't syndicated in either show's package. Also, when The Rookies used to be sold by Viacom, the season 2 episode, Frozen Smoke, with John Travolta wasn't syndicated.

At one point when Fox got ahold of Life of Riley, they chopped the package down from the original 217 to 91 shows.

Already mentioned previously, but for many years there were 5 Twilight Zones that were not available - Sounds and Silences, Short Drink from a Certain Fountain, The Encounter, Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge and Miniature.

Only the first four seasons of 77 Sunset Strip were ever syndicated in the United States. Season 6, the Jack Webb season was available internationally. Season 5 has never been available for syndication anywhere, which was why it was a big deal when Warner streaming had a good chunk of it on their site.
Also, the season 12 premiere of 5-O, "Lion in the Street," was two hours long. It was the only one of the 19 episodes not re-broadcast on CBS during the series' short-lived mid-1980s re-runs (under the McGarrett title) on the Late Night block.

~Ben

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I’ve noticed that two episodes of "The Beverly Hillbillies" have recently been removed from syndication. They’re both from Season 08. They’re episodes 18 and 19. The last time S08 aired around October/November 2018, these episodes didn't air. When S08 aired this August, they didn't air again. I remember seeing E18 air back around 2014 or 2015. I've been collecting the Me-TV airings of the seasons not yet on DVD (S06-S09) and those 2 episodes are all that I'm missing.

S08 E18 is "Marry Me, Shorty". S08 E19 is "Shorty Spits the Hook". According to YouTube postings of Hallmark airings, it appears that E18 and E19 have many themes of slavery in them. In E18, all of the secretaries of Mr. Drysdale's bank are dressed as "harem girls" for Shorty's bachelor party. This episode also features a slave auction. In E19, the same themes of slavery are mentioned, and in one scene, Mr. Drysdale stands over one of his secretaries (whom happens to be black) with a whip, and she's dressed in a kinky pink slave outfit. She screams "Please Master! Don't hit me with that whip!"

I'm going to say that's why these were withdrawn from syndication: mentions of slavery and slave auctions.

WOW! I can't believe CBS standards and practices actually let this air! :)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
CBS intended to transfer complete HD network versions. However, when they went back to the original elements they found that they were cut. There was some attempt made to find the missing pieces but no such luck. I don't know the details on how much or how many were cut - I don't think they were cut heavily - but this is why they are listed as syndication masters. CBS did not intentionally edit anything down for the HD transfers. Also, word is they have considered a DVD release but they are unsure about the home video rights (Al Lewis estate and maybe one other potential rights holder) so haven't pursued it.

Did Our Miss Brooks air on CBS daytime? Could they have actually edited the master negatives and not dupes for more commercials for the Daytime run?

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Back around 1999, WCIU-Channel 26 in Chicago was running "Hogan's Heroes." I remember one episode (don't know which one) joined the theme song "in progress" and at the very beginning (for a second or two) it looked like a tape that had been partially erased up to that point.

I remember watching HAWAII FIVE-O reruns on WOR in the mid-80s on more than one occasion where the 16mm print actually melted and burned up on-screen and they went to commercials for an extended period of time. I presume they had to remove the bad portion and splice it back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks