What's new

Enterprise 03/27/2002 (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Jack Briggs wrote:
TNG said:
You point to one of the big problems of doing "retro-Trek". You CAN'T go back, and the producers should have foreseen this. But then, too, with a "built-in" audience, why give a hoot?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And all this reminds me of Jason Seaver's oft-repeated arguments that as long as Berman and Braga are in charge, this is what we will be faced with. This series started off so promisingly, but now it's sliding into Trek cliche after Trek cliche. The creative heads are demonstrating a certain cynicism here. I hope this is but an abberation in what has otherwise been a fine first season thus far.

The Ferengis should never have been introduced in this series.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Well, I didn't think the episode was half-bad, and by Enterprise standards that means pretty good. Jeffry Combs' uncanny ability to elevate any material is on display here again, and saves the episode from being a total loss.

However, this episode suffers greatly from what James Blish described as the "Idiot Plot". Does anyone believe the Enterprise crew could be suckered so easily into bringing a tank full of anesthetic onto the ship? Somebody please fire "Security" Chief Reed, and do it quick! Preferably out an airlock.

Then, despite Trip's matchless knowledge of the inner workings of the Enterprise, he is totally ineffective against four Ferengi burglars without Archer and Nip'Pol's help. Maybe if the ship's film library included "Home Alone" he would have done better. *groan*

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
I don't know how I missed it in the cave episode, but evidently...I did. And to think...I've been waiting for this moment ever since the damn series premiered only to have overlooked it in what, the second episode?
Ok...I go to work early! Yeah, that's gonna be my excuse!
Regardless of all the protests, I REALLY like this show and what is being done so far. I may be in the minority, but I AM A TREKKER!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Speaking about idiot plots, I often try to tune in Enterprise at 9 PM assuming that it is a show designed for adults. I am beginning to remember that it is a kids show that airs at 8PM, but I wish they'd up it a notch, aim for the same audience that likes shows like CSI or other dramas which aren't afraid to address serious issues of morality.

Dan M~

Second Unit
... address serious issues of morality.
Address is OK, but don't lecture us on ones version of morality. This has been a problem for ST for awhile now. One of the great "discoveries" of Enterprise could be the differing moral/life style/ethical standards that have evolved within other worlds. Early Trek did that fairly well... i.e. not everyone is human. Other life forms should intregue us and even make us sick. TOS introduced us to many new life forms, many we did not like. Enterprise should not be out to "save" the universe from themselves, only to discover it.

Just my opinion.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Overall I thought it was good, not great and not a strong offering. Yes there were some funny scenes and some dialog was really good. As Nigel already pointed out, I liked the scene with Archer and T'Pol. I doubt it would be one of my favorites but I have never cared for any story which revolved around Ferengi. Ok, I did enjoy DS9: Little Green Men.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
My God what is this damn "my bad" thing going around you're hearing it on TV and people are constantly saying it. It's annoying as all hell.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
My God what is this damn "my bad" thing going around you're hearing it on TV and people are constantly saying it. It's annoying as all hell.
I first heard it in 1996/7. I don't find a problem with it. It's just a phrase to say "my fault, I'm sorry".

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I missed the credits, but I thought the eyes on the one Ferengi looked like Clint Howard. Too cool.

I thought this was a lot of fun. I may be alone in my feelings about this show, but I don't have to learn some great universal truth in each episode. I couldn't care less if they miss minor continuity points. I am just having fun with this show, this cast, and these episodes.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I think "my bad" is a derivative of the expression "my bag". "My bag" meant, essentially, "that is my fault and I carry the blame in my metaphorical bag". As in, "Sorry, my bag".

Somehow, the next generation misheard "my bag" and changed it to "my bad".

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Jack on this one. I find the Ferengi to be rather dull and uninteresting. No interesting philosophical issues or discoveries or moral questions, just "haha, look at the stupid greedy horny Ferengis".

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I'm still waiting for that great episode that is going to make me continue to watch this show for the long run. This episode didn't do it for me. Heck, it reminded me of "Castaway" how no one talked for a good portion of the show. Maybe next week will be the one.

Jon

Alan Benson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still waiting for that great episode that is going to make me continue to watch this show for the long run.
I hear the 7th-season finale is going to be terrific... :)
Seriously, I don't think Berman & Braga care whether we actually like the show, as long as we continue to watch, in pitiful hope-against-hope that it will someday improve. Wasn't Voyager kept afloat by the legion of not-quite-fans who couldn't completely abandon it?

Robert Ma

Second Unit
How about this for a great episode:

Enterprise encounters a ship with Khan. His orignal ship that Kirk eventually finds in the first series.

I am a trekie but I do not know the time line of Khans ship. I know Kirk found them in the original series but can't remember what time period Khan was from before going to those sleep chambers.

Obviously, from the last episode of Enterprise with the Ferengi, the writers do not care about keeping the timeline anyway.

I watch every star trek movie and say to myself, not as good as Wrath of Khan. I would love for them to resserect his character in this series.

Bob

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I enjoyed this episode, and think it's one of the better ones so far. The best thing, to me, was it was well done narrative. The characters showed, by actions and conversations, rather than just telling us. That is, the Ferengi acted greedy rather than just stating theyare greedy and going to the next exposition point. (the opposite of the previous episode with the rogue planet, the hunters, and the "wraiths".)
This wasn't a "comedy" episode to me. It had humorous moments and a lighter tone, but I found it to be enjoyable drama.
And to borrow from Ernest Goes to Jail, "What kind of person would throw away a perfectly good dog?" :) Fortunately, Porthos didn't suffocate in that cargo container.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks