What's new

Enterprise 03/27/2002 (1 Viewer)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I'm watching this week's episode off Edmonton's A-Channel on Bell ExpressVu's channel 222. We get it a day early.
Two words. Watch it! This episode's actually good! Guest stars are Jeffrey Combs, Ethan Philips, Clint Howard and Matt Malloy. And they're great!
That's it! Happy viewing! Fellow Canadians, don't spoil the fun for the Americans! :D

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
It was very good. Was the alien in the red shrit that short bald guy from The Princess Bridge, you know, the one who does the poison switching thing?

jeremy

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, I haven't seen the ep yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the same actor. He played the Grand Nagus (Ferengi) on Deep Space Nine. A fantastic character actor.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I haven't seen the episode yet either, but I don't think it's the same actor. The guest actors list Clint Howard, who is a short bald guy, he played the Blalock character in the TOS episode 'The Corbomite Manuever'.

The princess bride and Grand Nagus actor is Wallace Shawn who kind of looks the same as clint howard.

Dan M~

Second Unit
I love the preview of the Ferengi's attempting to translate Portos... funny stuff. I think more of these type of "mistakes" are needed in the show... don't make the humans perfect!

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
It freakin' FINALLY happened!
THE PINCH!!!!!!!!!!

This show was excellent! Our entire evening revolved around Trek today as I was checking out the contents of The Next Generation Season One Boxset!
HEHEHEHE

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the middle of watching the episode now. Two of the Ferengi actors are familiar. The captain reminds me of the guy that played Neelix, and his cousin reminds me of Way-oon.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry but even hearing Neelix's voice is too much Neelix for my liking. (Though the actor was good in his cameo on the holodeck in First Contact.)

Joel C

Screenwriter
Nerdy continuity problem...

In season one of TNG, they specify that they were making first Federation contact w/ the Ferengi. What, Archer doesn't do Capt. Log?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The dumb cousin guarding Archer was Liquidator Brunt(don't know his name) from DS9, not Jeffrey Combs(Weyoun). They are very similar in features and voice though

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Liquidator Brunt IS Jeffrey Combs who is also Weyoun and who is also the main Andorian guy in a few previous Enterprise episodes, and who was the dumb Ferengi in this episode.

The captain of the Ferengi ship is Ethan Phillips who is Neelix.

As for continuity, Nowhere in the epsiode was the name 'Ferengi' mentioned, Archer didn't have a clue who these aliens were, so of course Starfleet wouldn't have a record of them. The terms Archer set for them at the end of the episode made it sound like they would never come near humans or vulcans again, so that may also preserve continuity. Another cool continuity thing was that the Ferengi actually used the old Electric whips which I think were only seen in 'The Last Outpost' TNG episode where we were first introduced to them.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
I had a great laugh with this episode :)
Porthos in a Box!
'Not that interesting? No sense of humour? Always complaining?'
'I'll make it up to you'
'How?'
'5 bars of gold?
hahah

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
and you know the producers of the show must be having a fun time, to bring ron howards brother back, mind you I also got a laugh out of the balok, blalock thing

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
As for continuity, Nowhere in the epsiode was the name 'Ferengi' mentioned, Archer didn't have a clue who these aliens were, so of course Starfleet wouldn't have a record of them. The terms Archer set for them at the end of the episode made it sound like they would never come near humans or vulcans again, so that may also preserve continuity. Another cool continuity thing was that the Ferengi actually used the old Electric whips which I think were only seen in 'The Last Outpost' TNG episode where we were first introduced to them.
Quark's Marauder Mo doll on DS9 also was carrying one of the whips. :)
Hu-mans and the Ferengi never having met face-to-face before "The Last Outpost" has sort of been pushed out of continuity by DS9, where Quark and company had clearly been dealing with Federation types for more than five years. It's never been flatly denied, but it wasn't something DS9's writers felt terribly burdened by.
Of course, Quark also mentioned that the Ferengi never had slavery in "The Jem'Hadar". Obviously, one could argue based upon the role of women in their civilization, and that these Ferengi were outlaws anyway.
I'm starting to wonder how many names Berman & company have in their rolodex, though - this is Ethan Phillips's fourth Trek role (after a Ferengi on TNG, Neelix, and his cameo in First Contact), Clint Howard's second, and Jeffery Coombs's second on the first year of "Enterprise" alone (he also showed up on Voyager, and played Brunt, mirror-Brunt, Weyoun, Weyoun, Weyoun, and Weyoun on DS9). Last week, they also used Eric Pierpoint for his third Trek role. It's not like they're filming in Vancouver and only have a few local actors to choose from, so why do the same guys keep showing up?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Pretty good episode. Still distressed about the Ferengi continuity thing, but the costume choice in the first half made up for that.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Trek isn't the only show who recycles actors. Babylon 5 does the same thing. In fact, Jeffrey Coombs was on B5 (as a telepath in the first season), as well as the guy who played Reginald Barclay on TNG, Walter Koenig and Roddenberry's wife herself; not to mention Walter Koenig (Chekov; Bester).

These are just actors who are reliable and have a good rapport with the production staff. Why scramble to look for actors when you can call on people you know, especially in shows with lots of make-up?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Paul, the (spoiler) was used in one of the early episodes. The one where they are trapped in a cave and they start hallucinating. T'Pol uses it on Trip.

I enjoyed the episode. But, why are they continuing to use TNG aliens. I mean their are lots of races the that were introduced in the original series that could have played the Ferengi rolse. For example, the Orion Pirates. I think Berman & Braga are not giving Trek fans enough credit in remembering anything from before TNG and even TNG is sometimes ignored (ie-the Ferengi's being new).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Steeerike two!

Ahh, to be the lone voice of dissent:

If "I, Mudd" were crossed with "Starship Mine," and then modified to Voyager specifications, last night's Enterprise would have been the result. Sorry, but, chuckle-inducing though it may have been, the episode was a cop out.

We need the humor-based episodes, but this one was aS flat and derivitive as day-old American beer.

Not as bad as last week's, but certainly not good.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
One of these days, I'm hoping there will be a Trek episodes where the aliens look a lot like those DAMN DIRTY APES!!! :)
The species will turn out to be highly civilized with an excellent sense of humour. When they ask the crew why their appearance has startled them so much on their first encounter, that's when the reference to the Apes movie should be mentioned.
Later on, they watch the movie and can't stop laughing! :D
At least that's what I'm hoping to see one of these days... The Star Trek franchise needs to relax a bit from time to time. Right now, they're still so tight-assed that it's no wonder you don't see any of them use the bathroom!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks