What's new

Elite VSX-45 cutting out? (1 Viewer)

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
I have read problems about this reciever and cutting out. Is it stricly due to the fact that its because the speakers being used are 4ohm and not 8ohm? Or is this a problem no matter what ohm the speaker is rated. I ask this because I plan on purchasing the 45tx but also want to main towers that are rated at 4ohm.

Another question, if I have 8ohm speakers all around except the 2 main that are 4ohm. Will that affect the reciever negativly also or will it not matter since there seperate channels?

Harold A

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,

I own a 45TX and have never had it shut down. If you have been reading the thread here and AVS forum. One of the people that had shut down traced it back to a bad speaker. I am sure he will chime in soon.

The 45TX is only rated to drive speakers over 6 ohms. If you go with a 4 ohm speaker you might drive it to shut down.

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
Bah, thats what I figured. I don't want the thing shutting down on me, I suppose there's nothing I can do or I guess want to do to tweak the reciever and keep it from shutting down without it sounding like fecal matter, huh?

Harold A

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,

If you pick up a used 2 channel amp to drive your mains you will be OK. For about $200 you can find a good used 2 channel amp. I think this combination is the way to go. I use an external amp to power my front 3 speakers.

Antony

Agent
Hello,

I picked up a 45TX 2 weeks ago, and already had the M&K 750THX main speakers (all 4 ohm). So far, with the AVR set to 6 ohms rather than 8 ohms, I've not experienced any problems. I do have a 120mm computer cooling fan built in to the entertainment unit housing the AVR, though. Also, with a 13 month old in the house, I'm never "allowed" to approach reference levels.

I do plan to expand out to an outboard amp in the future, which is why I didn't let the 4 ohm speakers bother me.

The Elite is a wonderful AVR, I don't regret the purchase for 1 second. I say go for it, and just watch heat and MAX volumes.

Antony

Harold A

Stunt Coordinator
Antony,

I don't have any kids in the house and don't understand how anyone can listen at reference levels. If I get to about -8db it is plenty loud.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
I'm with you Harold. On music tracks I never get past -8 to -10 on HT the only movie I've been able to apporach -10 is the Fast and the Furious. All others are -15 and above.

Now the other night - because of these threads I went to 0 db on some music . Way too loud. and no shutdown. I normally listen to music at beleive it or not -25 to -30 db.

Mike

Antony

Agent
I agree with you both. I just added that part in because I see so many people referring to listening to reference levels. Comfortably, I usually listen at around -25 or so (when the baby's awake, that is).

Matt Odegard

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help guys. I really want this reciever, I have the Dv-C36 and just got the 45A DVD player for SACD and DVDA. I know that Elites are great products and I really love the looks, a great bonus. I live an apartment for now so I'm not allowed to get to "crazy" with volume but will be in a house within a year so just making sure I have everything setup for the move in. I'm sure I will love this reciever:)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
these shutdowns that I've read about seem to have their probable causes in areas other than an inability of the pioneer to deliver on its power, even for speakers with a nominal 4 ohm rating. while i don't own one, i'd not have an issue with suggesting if it has your particular feature set and the price is right, that it be considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks