What's new

Elden ring: noobs are us (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I can't begrudge anyone who has a bad time with Elden Ring. I've always been skeptical of the cult-like quality of FromSoftware's most rabid fanbase. I know we video game people can be intense, but there's a religious fervor around these games that makes me uncomfortable. 😂

My perspective is unusual: my LEAST favorite part of these games are the boss battles. I don't like them. They're clunky and rhythmically chaotic wars of attrition. Defeating bosses in these games always fills me with irritation and relief (not accomplishment).

I'm sure I'll hit that wall with this game, but the emphasis on exploration and freedom is winning me over. Being able to fast travel from anywhere to any checkpoint is amazing, and bosses have more reasonable checkpoints.
Well said. Yeah the boss battles have always sucked, and I mean that in a loving way. They are the reason the "Souls" games have always been labeled as too difficult. Because they are...until you beat them. The exploration, and atmosphere (and killing random baddies) has always been the biggest draw for me. I think I fought a boss 26 times in a row on DS 2. And that was with the correct technique, and timing. When I beat it I just held my middle finger up at the game. I have never done that before, or since LOL, that is pretty far from who I am. I'm hoping the boss battles in ER aren't anywhere near that kind of headache.

The open world has me all kinds of unorthodox. I wandered for nearly 5 hours before I even started the game for real. Kind of cool once I got used to it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
16850343-0DFA-436E-9A79-6D04EE41BDD3.jpeg

I slammed a controller breaking off a piece but I finally beat this bastard and got my undead skin.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

This guy is an idiot.

At 8:30 he says something to effect of "the thing about the "Souls" games is that they are well received they don't sell that well"
So those 10 million units sold of DS 3 weren't that great huh? That was way over double the sales of The Last Of Us 2, and it outsold Ghost of Tsushima. It almost sold as many units as both those games combined.

Just because there isn't a lot of promotion of a title, doesn't mean players aren't buying it. I'm happy that this will outsell the previous "Souls" games, and hopefully it will get some new players of the series to go back and discover just how awesome they have always been.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It is a shame that once completed I never have the desire to revisit any of the Souls games. And I never will. So with Elden Ring I'm playing as a Bandit, and a Vagabond. I love both character classes, and especially can't wait to see how powerful my Bandit character will be at high level with the long bow, and magic arrows.

So I'm getting two playthroughs, and it may take months, but I'm going to enjoy every moment.

I've liked each Souls game for different reasons, but so far Elden Ring is the best of all of them.

The voice acting as with all the previous entries is perfect. I noticed some familiar voices from Deracine.

Last edited:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Picked up the game on PC last night. Started with an Int/Dex Prisoner which I'll be turning into a spellblade eventually. Enjoying it so far, but I haven't attempted any bosses quite yet. Coming off a recent Sekiro playthrough, Elden Ring actually feels far easier than Sekiro already.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Picked up the game on PC last night. Started with an Int/Dex Prisoner which I'll be turning into a spellblade eventually. Enjoying it so far, but I haven't attempted any bosses quite yet. Coming off a recent Sekiro playthrough, Elden Ring actually feels far easier than Sekiro already.
I agree with you! Elden Ring gives you a lot of combat options. Conversely, the combat in Sekiro is very difficult and limits offensive variation to special items like the flamethrower or axe. So you can't really choose (/cheese) a specific build. I LOVED the atmosphere and stealth and grapple platforming in Seikiro, but some of the boss battles require levels of focus and determination I haven't been able to summon.

Traveling and dying and traveling in Elden Ring have very few penalties. (Dark Souls and Seikiro loved to punish players for dying too many times.) Yes, some ER battles and fights are apparently highly challenging, but the game doesn't force you onto those paths, despite all the gold arrows pointing you to places.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Just grinding til stronger. My Bandit character:

I like how the big shield/spear knight was terrifying at lower levels, and now he is a joke lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks