What's new

Elden ring: noobs are us (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Those are all good and dandy, but strength, stamina, and equipment don't help a whole lot in the way of fighting a very tough boss. You still have to have to exploit weaks spots, and have hella good reaction time to stand a chance. Chance that one boss will take you 15, or 20 tries to defeat are pretty good.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Was going to wait until I get a PS5, but I Just bought it for the PS4. 30 FPS is fine with me. I blame Sam;)

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I'm playing Easy Mode (Astrologer) and finally beat the first "real" boss after about seven tries and plenty of trash mob grinding. It's amazing that they put a checkpoint so close to bosses. Almost like they're finally realizing that players should be able to jump right back into the hard stuff. That gave me the momentum I needed to try again. Also:

they gave players the ability to summon TWO assists to draw aggro during the fight.

I'm enjoying Elden Ring a lot more than Dark Souls because I no longer have to git gud at a boss before I can progress in the game. Grinding a whole world is so much more fun than grinding the same few pathways over and over.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I did the rune ball trick a few dozen times last night and ran the one boss through poison. Felt good to get a win like that after having been beat down so often. Didn’t feel cheesy at all. Not sure if I will kill the sleeping dragon or not. Will decide tonight.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I understand their point of view completely. I'd consider myself a skilled "Souls" player, and I think this game is quite overwhelming. My gut reaction is that open world for this type of game is a poor fit. No matter the positive reviews. All the souls games before, and Bloodborne were open world enough, and I never considered them too linear at all. The game design was mòstly perfect. It isn't something that needed change imho.
A few hours of playing, and mainly I'm just wandering soaking it in. I died a few time by elemnatal hazards. I love that since 1995 in King's Field all From Software games treat dipping into water that is slightly deep results in a horrifying screaming death.LOL. Learn to swim people.

I'm assuming leveling up is the same as previous games like this where you die, you have to recover your "souls". Or go back to zero. If that is the case I'm screwed. I'm all over that massive map. Maybe point of death it is marked on the map to make them easy to recover. Haven't been paying attention.

Beautiful game, I love the ambient noises of nature, and the new age relaxing mood music/score. This might be a tough game to beat, even though I have noticed immediately that it is much more forgiving than previous Souls games in certain ways. You can fall much greater distances without taking too much damage, or dying. And the enemies have been quite easy so far. I ran into a boss dragon, and ran away. I really like the "Bandit" class character I chose.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Disagree completely. If they had kept it as is they would never have gotten the wide audience this is hitting now. So maybe that disappoints a slim percentage of hardcore old school fans but it’s infinitely better for the health of the dev, health of the industry and the enjoyment of more players.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Dark Souls 3 sold 10 million units, which was quadruple the sales of the previous game. It seems with each new entry, these games become increasingly popular. Elden Ring should hit close to 20 million when all is said and done.
The positive reviews (which is nothing new for these games) always help. Not a whole lot has changed. It feels like I'm playing a slightly prettier version of Dark Souls 1 but with a larger area to explore.
I have seen a lot of talk in videos about the other Souls games being so linear. They weren't...at all.

Elden Ring being open world is just a larger map, with beacons to lead the way. Same game type, just bigger, much bigger.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I can't begrudge anyone who has a bad time with Elden Ring. I've always been skeptical of the cult-like quality of FromSoftware's most rabid fanbase. I know we video game people can be intense, but there's a religious fervor around these games that makes me uncomfortable. 😂

My perspective is unusual: my LEAST favorite part of these games are the boss battles. I don't like them. They're clunky and rhythmically chaotic wars of attrition. Defeating bosses in these games always fills me with irritation and relief (not accomplishment).

I'm sure I'll hit that wall with this game, but the emphasis on exploration and freedom is winning me over. Being able to fast travel from anywhere to any checkpoint is amazing, and bosses have more reasonable checkpoints.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks