What's new

Edison's 1910 Frankenstein (1 Viewer)

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
Has anyone else had trouble ordering this film from LRS Marketing? I ordered it in December and I still haven't recieved it. I've called and e-mailed LRS Marketing many times and recieved no single reply in any form. I'm sure it's not a scam because I've read about other people recieving their orders. Does anyone know anything that could help?

Lyle H.

Stunt Coordinator
I bought it at the Chiller Theatre Convention when it first came out. It also includes the original Nosferatu, with the original title cards that called him "Dracula".

I'm not sure if we could link to other retailers, if not, please let me know. http://www.creepyclassics.com/script...LE=/dvd-f.html I've dealt with Ron and Creepy Classics before, and they were very nice and had great service. It's on that page, just scroll down. "Edison's FRANKENSTEIN (1910)/NOSFERTATU (1922) - Double Feature" $20...

Hope this helps. :)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Can't you just call LRS? That usually seems to work better than e-mails that are easily ignored.....

I ordered it at the above mentioned Creepy Classics site BTW, and received it pretty fast (for an overseas order).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

From what I've heard, it's mastered off a home-made Betamax tape Alois "Father Time" Detlaff made from his print of Frankenstein. Also has "Property of Al Detlaff" scrolling in the middle of the screen.

Given that Mr. Detlaff refuses to let anyone repair or preserve the print (Although, I'm sure his refrigerator does the job fine), the print may have its share of scars... but it IS an original nitrate print. If he had it properly restored and preserved (in fact, someone would probably put up the money to have it restored digitally at 4K or something), it would finalize the film's longevity.

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
Can't you just call LRS? That usually seems to work better than e-mails that are easily ignored.....

I ordered it at the above mentioned Creepy Classics site BTW, and received it pretty fast (for an overseas order).

I've tried to call them several times. I tried calling them at noon and all I've gotten is an answering machine. I think I'm in the same time zone as where I would call, too.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The old videotape had the "Property of Al Detlaff" scrolling across it. The DVD no longer has this defect. I think it must be a new transfer because there are icons onscreen, similar to the old American Biograph logos, but they're fairly unobtrusive--certainly nothing like the old video scrolling. Picture quality's about as good as you'd expect.

Though the Nosferatu is the same worn MOMA print that shows up in innumerable PD releases, it does have the advantage of being windowboxed so information isn't cropped off the edge as happens in almost every other edition. I'm specifically thinking of the scene on the ship where Orlok rises bolt upright out of his coffin--usually the top of his head, or occasionally his entire head, is cropped off, but here he's intact and there's even a bit of clearance above his head. For casual viewing I find myself coming back to it.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston

His refridgerator? Hah! You'd only be so lucky. Mr. Detlaff believes in the "store them unguarded on my basement floor" method of archival.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks