What's new

1910 Edison Frankenstein on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Alois Detlaff screened his print (the only known surviving copy) of the 1910 Frankenstein on 4/27 at the Landmark Loew's in New Jersey. Following the showing, he sold copies of it on DVD, and is now apparently selling them to the general public through his company, A.D. Ventures. Included on the disc is a windowboxed print of Nosferatu. Digitally Obsessed has a review and contact information here. The DVD costs $30 shipped. There's also a site, creepyclassics.com, that claims to be selling the same DVD for $25 shipped. Has anyone ordered a copy of this, or dealt with creepyclassics.com? I'm interested in getting this, but am not real eager to shell out $30 for 12.5 minutes of film.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Only buy if you're a die-hard fanatic.

From what I've heard, the DVD was mastered from a copy of a Betamax tape made in the 1980s from the film before restoration.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I've bought it from creepyclassics.com.

I had to pay through Paypal (because I live in the Netherlands), but the delivery was very fast (5 days).

Two little annoyances: The actual shipping costs were only 50% of what they charged me, and they made a small but essential mistake with the address on the package so somebody else in my street received it. A honest person, fortunately. :)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Mark, How's the quality of the disc?
Hard to say, because I had never seen the movie in any form before. The screenshots at Digitally Obsessed (you can enlarge the screens by clicking on them BTW) are a good representation of the dvd quality: If they look acceptable I don't think you'll be disappointed. There are a few scenes that are damaged more than you see on the screenshots though, especially in the beginning.

Don't buy it to get Nosferatu. I sampled some scenes and it really doesn't compare to my R2/BFI version (with the excellent James Bernard score).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks