What's new

Ebert/Roeper: Surprised by some of their picks re "films about film." (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Last night's special edition of Ebert and Roeper was fascinating, and based on an interesting concept: the best films about film and filmmaking. The two critics broke these films down by category--films about directors, about writers, about producers, etc.
Though the two came up with some excellent films in each category, I was surprised by some ommissions. In "films about writers," my first choice would be Sunset Boulevard. As for films about directors, the first one that comes to my mind is The Stuntman.
I do applaud, however, the inclusion of The Player in a category involving, as I recall, films about the industry.
I'd be interested in other people's thoughts.
NOTE: Though based on the comments in a television show, this post is about the films themselves--or, rather, about those that didn't get mentioned.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Jack,

It might help if you print a list of the films they did mention in each category. For instance, the first film that pops to my mind about writers is 'Barton Fink.' Did Ebert use that one (he probably did, but I didn't see the show).

I have problems watching the show as my local channel bounces it around their scehdule. Sometimes it's Sunday afternoon, sometimes it's in the wee hours of Monday morning. It usually depends on the basketball schedule.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
If I recall correctly, they neglected the role of critics in entertainment. All About Eve, with George Sander's snotty Addison De Witt, would have been a good selection ( even with Sanders as a supporting player ) for this category.
Films they did mention, and ( roughly ) the categories for each.
Producers:
The Kid Stays In The Picture - I haven't viewed this film, but it looks like a fascinating account of the career of Robert Evans. ( It was pretty neat seeing Evans on the other side of the camera in a couple of clips. )
Swimming With Sharks
Matinee - with John Goodman's exploits in this film being based upon the real life actions of William Castle.
Directors:
American Movie
The Bank Dick
Bowfinger
Ed Wood
Writers:
Barton Fink
State and Main
Film Production:
The Player
Actors:
Notting Hill
Film about film - concluding segment of the special:
Singin' In The Rain - Ebert
The Big Picture - Roeper
Disclaimer: That's off the top of my head, so I'm sure there are errors and omissions.
- Walter.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
If I recall correctly, they neglected the role of critics in entertainment. All About Eve, with George Sander's snotty Addison De Witt, would have been a good selection ( even with Sanders as a supporting player ) for this category.
Couldn't All About Eve be considered a movie about actors?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
It would probably be a better match in the actor's category and could fit several of the phases that Ebert mentioned...
Up and coming actor (or)
Established star
It is one of the few films that I recall dealing with the influence of critics, hence my mention of it in that category.
And, I just recalled another film from the special...
Nicholas Ray's outstanding In A Lonely Place which features one of Bogart's best performances as a writer who is involved in a homicide investigation.
- Walter.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Jack picked two and Walter picked one of my five most glaring omissions already, but the other ones I kind of expected were "A Star is Born" (the Cukor version) and Truffaut's "Day for Night". Perhaps my personal favorite movie about the movies is "The Purple Rose of Cairo", but I did not really expect them to list it. I'm glad they listed "Bowfinger" as I think it is underrated.

Regards,

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
If movies about special effects people count as well,

F/X, F/X 2 and Mute witness, altough these are more pure entertainment than any thoughtful examinations I guess...

Also about writers; Paris when it sizzles

also, a movie I've never seen, but it seems... interesting: Lucio Fulci's Cat in the brain, in which apparently Lucio Fulci himself portrays a director of horror movies but starts to wonder if the is insane for coming up with his ideas.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Since All About Eve is about the theatre, I don't think it would qualify.

I was surprised they didn't mention The Bad & the Beautiful (and it's sequel Two weeks in Another Town).

There are also films such as The Last Tycoon, The Big Knife, Hearts of the West, Nickelodeon, Living in Oblivion, The Oscar, Good Morning Babylon and many more that could have been mentioned, but I'm sure time requirements would not permit them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After watching "The Bad and the Beautiful" last week on dvd, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't mentioned this great film. The final shot of that picture would be a good subject for debate.

Crawdaddy

Guy Martin

Second Unit
I'm pretty sure the Cukor version of A Star is Born was mentioned in the section on films about actors.

- Guy

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Yep, they sure did mention A Star Is Born. Showed a clip, too.

I dunno, I find a lot of things to like about The Player, but I'm not sure that it works for me overall. I've watched it several times, but can't quite bring myself to give it the ol' thumbs up.

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
No one's mentioned 8 1/2?

A more obscure one is a Canadian mockumentary I saw last night, THE LEFT SIDE OF THE FRIDGE.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I agree that The Bad and the Beautiful is a glaring omission on their part.
Sullivan's Travels would have been a good inclusion also but being stuck with Roeper I'd guess that Ebert had to keep their choices mainly directed at the usual Blockbuster Video fare.
;)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Bank Dick? How did that get in there? I love the movie, but the character W.C. Fields played had a directing job for what, five minutes of the movie? Whatever. ::shrug::

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks