What's new

Earthquake 8" Subs (1 Viewer)

Joey Ford

Agent
I've enclosed a pair of Earthquake 8" drivers that I used in my car a couple of years ago. I called the company to get the specs. on the speaker and they directed me to this link http://www.earthquakesound.com/br8.htm
The box that I built is a pentagon that stands 24" tall. The drivers are mounted vertically on the far corner. The front and left side are 12" wide each -- if you can visualize this. It is constructed of 3/4" MDF with one internal diagonal brace.
The internal area is 0.99 CuFt. including the area the two speakers take up.
I've ported the box at the top with a 3" X 13.50" pipe. Why did I do this? Well, I used this Vent Calculator http://tools.autoaudio.com/ventcalc/ However, I left the frequency default at 35Hz.
The specs indicate that the speaker's Resonance Frequency is 41.33Hz. My speaker is not the identical one listed on the above URL. Mine has a 48oz. magnet, 2 inch voice coil, and is rated at 180 watts.
I haven't received my new crossover yet, so I tested the box at full range using my pioneer receiver. There appears to be alot of box noise from within the port. When I cover the port, some of the noise is reduced.
Did I attempt to tune these drivers too low? Is there another port dimension that I should try?
I appreciate any and all responses.
Thanks
Joey

Joey Ford

Agent
41 people have viewed this thread but no responses.

Somebody please respond!!

A new comer who is trying to learn the art/science of HT.

Thanks
Joey

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
I cant help with your problem but most on HTF don't use car audio subs for home audio. I have been since high school(like 10 years) and I kinda like them. But I don't ever use ported subs either. sorry i cant help:frowning:
Mike

Joey Ford

Agent
I realize most don't use card audio in their home, but why waste it if you already have it?

The point is, an 8" car sub is not going to be that much different than an 8" home sub. So, I'm looking for the best way to port this box with the given air space. Heck, we can even pretend their home audio subs, but I at least need a reference point.

Thanks
Joey

Joey Ford

Agent
This was really surprising to see this low response (2 people). I thank you both!
Surely there are some knowledgeable individuals out there who could advise on port length to tune this box to a "better" level.
Yes, it is a car woofer. Believe it or not, these things cost over $100 a piece back in 1994. They beat like hell in my car. But I realize the cabin was much smaller than my listening room and that certainly helped.
Bottom line, can anyone give me an edge or a few crumbs to make a poor situation better?
Class dismissed :D

Mark gas

Second Unit
I think your box may be to small don't you need atleast ,6 cubic feet per driver for a ported box and you may have port noise. Is the the sound a whistling sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks