What's new

San Andreas (2015) get ready to rumble the subs! (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
10806483_10152890302910149_4577596743175909878_n.jpg

Get ready to rumble the subs next year as Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) will quake cinemas with a magnitude +10 RockArama SensuRock.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2126355/

1382890_10152890327990149_5583058628071720877_n.jpg

10428457_10152890305520149_3527951131651094376_n.jpg

EARTHQUAKE UK quad poster looks better. I hope Warner Bros, comes up with better poster look.

I wonder if this is getting Dolby atmos or Dolby Digital 5.1 as no mentioning on Dolby website or any technical details on imdb yet.

For a better quake need below surround to scare the crap out of the audience when objects fall from the ceiling and come crashing down on the floor!

2012 (2009) did this with not just a total of the west coast but the entire USA.

Volcano (1997) roasted the west coast to toast.

Superman The Movie (1978) Lex Luthor, wants to buy up beach front property by dropping two atomic bombs on California sicking into the bottom of Pacific ocean by triggering off an Earthquake.

I saw EARTHQUAKE (1974) early February 1975 (aged 8) over the few months around 4 times cost for big sub bass 79p back then and Battlestar Galactica (1979) that resulted in mild tinnitus and I can still hear up to 16KHz, but not good with sub bass playing at 120dbC or higher for long periods of 10 mins on EARTHQUAKE on the big quake moment and the sound pressure hitting me in the chest!!

Wow played 17 weeks at Chinese theatre, That was when real films played for long weeks months and I doubt San Andreas will play in number 1 screen for 4 weeks 2 weeks at least today 4 weeks if lucky then moved shuffled on the server to another screen. Oh I mess the days of EARTHQUAKE at abc 1 playing for months.
http://graumanschinese.org/1975.html

I wonder if Sand Andreas can beat EARTHQUAKE playing the big one for 10 mins?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Something about this film been bothering me for a few days.

I bet when it has all these Earthquake scenes it would have a music score playing with it along with frantic screaming crowds.

I would prefer if it was all sound effects and screaming people as EARTHQUAKE did it so well and score cuts in after the main big EARTHQUAKE was jaw dropping in the cinema with a neat matte painting by the master Albert Whitlock.

995621_10152893880700149_1080718290549988560_n.jpg

10857899_10152893883930149_5781567443741103458_n.jpg

Albert Whitlock touching up the matte panting with the magic of the brush.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Once again, the critics are all wet. As natural disaster films go, 'San Andreas' tops them all. Now, you might think that doesn't mean much, but I'll disagree. The film has very believable acting, a great screenplay, and awesome special effects. Even though a ton of computer-generated imagery was used, it didn't feel that way. It all felt realistic and not fake.

Don't get me wrong, the "disaster" element is over-the-top! It would be pretty much impossible to make a movie with more bad stuff happening to a whole lot of people in a few hours. But the film was never cornball, nor did the actors ever make me feel like they weren't really in mortal danger (during those scenes when they are in mortal danger).

'San Andreas' is a terrific summer blockbuster popcorn flick! All you need to do is go into the theater knowing that that is exactly what it is, a summer popcorn flick!

The Booth Bijou gives it 4 out of 5 stars! Go see it in a theater with a big screen and a great sound system!

Can't wait to show this one in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater!

Mark

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Hell of a thing to have this film come out the weekend that an 8.5 Earthquake hits Japan.

It's a typical disaster film with some pretty stupid moments of people doing some pretty ridiculous things and stuff blowing up.

That said, stuff blowed up REAL good ( :D ) and building collapses etc were great.

VERY paint by the numbers predictable. If you've seen Volcano, you've basically seen this film. With earthquakes.

C+/B-

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'll probably go see this, the reviews that I have seen while not great, have given me enough of a sense that I would enjoy the movie.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Two reviews from the off topic area of the car forum I hang out at:

"I just got home from watching San Andreas... What an amazing film this was! It's not just your blockbuster disaster film. There's some excellent writing and performances in this film. Not to mention a wonderful human story at the core. There was a scene where I got pretty misty eyed, but I don't want to spoil anything. What I really enjoy is that they took some time to set up the characters in a way that you cared what happened to them, instead of the typical cardboard characters that get killed off in every other scene.
I also thought that the VFX were top notch. Not once did something jump out at me visually that made my brain scream that it was CGI. I might have to go see this again...by the way, guess which film is #1 at the box office this weekend? I'm glad that I saw this one first."

"We saw it today and I totally agree with you. Unlike the movie 2012, there is a story here. And an added suspense. Enjoyable movie."

Mark

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
While being fairly predictable, it's okay. The disaster scenes were full of fury, and the theater shook a lot throughout those scenes. The human stories were perfunctionarily adequate. My gratitude to the producers who felt it was necessary to put Alexandra Daddario in a bikini for no good reason, plot-wise, but appreciated by this viewer nonetheless. LOL! She would have looked amazing in the Wonder Woman outfit, too. :D (But I digress...)

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
3D was well done, but I wouldn't say that you absolutely must see it in 3D.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wayne_j said:
3D was well done, but I wouldn't say that you absolutely must see it in 3D.
I understand that Dolby Atmos is a must, but I was wondering about the 3D?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Robert Crawford said:
Any reason to see this film in 3-D?
Yes. The Rock said you must see it this way!

Seriously I saw it in IMAX 3D and the 3D was great and definitely added to the fun. Two hours of non stop mayhem fun. Exactly what i was expecting.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw this last night in IMAX 3D and enjoyed it. At least in IMAX if a sky scraper falls you feel it in the theater.

My biggest problem with this movie is...

That The Rock is a rescue helicopter pilot, disaster hits and instead of saving
as many people as possible, he only goes about saving his family including his
ex wife. While he does this he doesn't even get phone calls or radio calls
from his supervisors telling him to get back to his job.

I'd give this around a C+/B-.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
mattCR said:
VERY paint by the numbers predictable. If you've seen Volcano, you've basically seen this film. With earthquakes.

C+/B-
I hope it's not like Volcano, that was a terrible movie.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw this at the Odeon Leicester Square and the bass was like Sensurround it was only in 5.1 and the bass was cleaner than Interstellar in70mm 5.1 DTS.

The Tabs had broke and the Masking was on 2.39 even through the 1.85 Ads and it was out of focus at the bottom of the screen all through the Ads and

Trls.

I thought the film was great.

ps it cost £17 !

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
George_W_K said:
I hope it's not like Volcano, that was a terrible movie.
This film is tons better than Volcano. Not even close imo. San Andreas is way better and more spectacular. Way more similar to 2012.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks