What's new

DVDs in DD-EX and DTS-ES (1 Viewer)

Duke H

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! I just picked up the new remaster of "Highlander." It is in an aluminum sheath, and has 2 discs...one is the movie, the other is a disc of Queen videos, music, etc. Anyway, here's the cool thing...IT'S RECORDED IN DTS-ES AND DD-EX! I'd never heard DD-EX, but now that I have, let me tell you...it is incredible! Not quite as good as DTS-ES, but almost as good. The difference between DD-EX and DD is more noticable than the difference between DTS and DTS-ES...probably because my Yamaha HTR-5560 (RX-V630) can't do DTS-ES discrete-only matrix. It does decode both DD discrete and matrix, however, and there is a substantial difference with the 6th channel added. What other movies are in DD-EX?

Duke H

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, another thing. I forgot to mention a few more things. The 2nd disc is music only. Not bad sounding (thanks to DTS-ES), but there are only 3 tracks. Also, the disc is THX certified, and has the whole "THX audio and video calibration" menu included on the disc. I personally think the whole THX thing is a joke and a scam, but for those of you who like in, here you go.The remastered picture is really good, but on a few scenes, the quality is a bit grainy-like VHS. All-in-all, though, it's a good buy. You can get the regular edition (single disk, dd-ex, dts-es) at Best Buy for $9.99. Worth the $10.00 just to hear DD-EX in action. I'd say the same for DTS-ES, but there are several titles out in that format already. But back to my original question....what other movies are out there in DD-EX (aka THX-EX)? Thanks.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Click here for an extensive list of Dolby Digital Surround EX and DTS-ES Matrix and Discrete 6.1 discs available.
I believe the second disc of the Highlander: Immortal Edition is a conventional stereo PCM CD, so isn't a DTS-ES recording. Also, there is no discrete variant of Dolby Digital Surround EX; a discrete back-surround channel is available only from the DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 format.
Adam

Doug Smith

Second Unit
You might want to check out the airship race in "The Phantom Menace" - it goes right around your listening room in EX.

Duke H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Doug and Adam,

Adam, I believe that DD-EX discrete is a reletively new format. The Yamaha 5560 decodes EX discrete. There is more info about the format. Check out the post under Receivers/seperates/amps titled, I believe, New Yamaha Review. Jason Caudill talks about it more in depth.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Duke,
Dolby doesn't have a discrete EX format at present. Only DD-EX which is a matrix 5.1 surround format.
You may have confused it with DTS-ES Discrete.
What part of Ohio are you from? I just hosted a HT meet at my house on Saturday. I'm in the Cincinnati area. We try to get together around every calendar quarter.
Troy

Duke H

Stunt Coordinator
Troy,

I live in central Ohio, around Columbus. I'm about 2 hours away. If you want, you can send me some info about the HT meets. I wouldn't mind the drive.

Adam and Troy,

My appoligies. I looked up Yamaha's definition of DD-EX, and they actually state that it is created out of a 5.1 signal. The Yamaha decodes Matrix DD-EX and DTS only. I heard that the 630 was set up to decode DD-EX discrete, but I'll have to check my source to make sure I'm not mistaken. Wasn't DD-EX licensed to THX for a while? THX-something?

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Duke,

I'll put your email address on my contact list.

Yes, it used to be referred to as 'THX Surround EX'.

Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks