DVDs in DD-EX and DTS-ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Duke H, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Duke H

Duke H Stunt Coordinator

Wow! I just picked up the new remaster of "Highlander." It is in an aluminum sheath, and has 2 discs...one is the movie, the other is a disc of Queen videos, music, etc. Anyway, here's the cool thing...IT'S RECORDED IN DTS-ES AND DD-EX! I'd never heard DD-EX, but now that I have, let me tell you...it is incredible! Not quite as good as DTS-ES, but almost as good. The difference between DD-EX and DD is more noticable than the difference between DTS and DTS-ES...probably because my Yamaha HTR-5560 (RX-V630) can't do DTS-ES discrete-only matrix. It does decode both DD discrete and matrix, however, and there is a substantial difference with the 6th channel added. What other movies are in DD-EX?

2. Duke H

Duke H Stunt Coordinator

Oh, another thing. I forgot to mention a few more things. The 2nd disc is music only. Not bad sounding (thanks to DTS-ES), but there are only 3 tracks. Also, the disc is THX certified, and has the whole "THX audio and video calibration" menu included on the disc. I personally think the whole THX thing is a joke and a scam, but for those of you who like in, here you go.The remastered picture is really good, but on a few scenes, the quality is a bit grainy-like VHS. All-in-all, though, it's a good buy. You can get the regular edition (single disk, dd-ex, dts-es) at Best Buy for $9.99. Worth the $10.00 just to hear DD-EX in action. I'd say the same for DTS-ES, but there are several titles out in that format already. But back to my original question....what other movies are out there in DD-EX (aka THX-EX)? Thanks.

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Click here for an extensive list of Dolby Digital Surround EX and DTS-ES Matrix and Discrete 6.1 discs available.
    I believe the second disc of the Highlander: Immortal Edition is a conventional stereo PCM CD, so isn't a DTS-ES recording. Also, there is no discrete variant of Dolby Digital Surround EX; a discrete back-surround channel is available only from the DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 format.
    Adam

4. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

You might want to check out the airship race in "The Phantom Menace" - it goes right around your listening room in EX.

5. Duke H

Duke H Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Doug and Adam,

Adam, I believe that DD-EX discrete is a reletively new format. The Yamaha 5560 decodes EX discrete. There is more info about the format. Check out the post under Receivers/seperates/amps titled, I believe, New Yamaha Review. Jason Caudill talks about it more in depth.

6. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Duke,
    Dolby doesn't have a discrete EX format at present. Only DD-EX which is a matrix 5.1 surround format.
    You may have confused it with DTS-ES Discrete.
    What part of Ohio are you from? I just hosted a HT meet at my house on Saturday. I'm in the Cincinnati area. We try to get together around every calendar quarter.
    Troy

7. Duke H

Duke H Stunt Coordinator

Troy,

I live in central Ohio, around Columbus. I'm about 2 hours away. If you want, you can send me some info about the HT meets. I wouldn't mind the drive.

Adam and Troy,

My appoligies. I looked up Yamaha's definition of DD-EX, and they actually state that it is created out of a 5.1 signal. The Yamaha decodes Matrix DD-EX and DTS only. I heard that the 630 was set up to decode DD-EX discrete, but I'll have to check my source to make sure I'm not mistaken. Wasn't DD-EX licensed to THX for a while? THX-something?

8. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Duke,

I'll put your email address on my contact list.

Yes, it used to be referred to as 'THX Surround EX'.

Troy