DTS ES & DD EX in a 5.1 Setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Scott Aruti, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Scott Aruti

Scott Aruti Stunt Coordinator

When playing 6.1 channel software through a 5.1 speaker array, what happens exactly; I mean, is there any information "lost" per se? I have heard so many theories on this...

My Onkyo TX-SR600 feeds a Polk 5.1 speaker array, and in the setup menu, I have instructed the receiver to acknowledge that there is NO back surround channel for 6.1 sound...still, I do play DVDs with DTS ES soundtracks (Gladiator, The Haunting) and Dolby Digital EX soundtracks (Exorcist: Version You've Never Seen, Attack of the Clones) and I was wondering what I am actually hearing out of my system by playing 6.1 DVDs in 5.1...is that sixth channel information "collapsed" or "matrixed" into my surround speakers? Am I experiencing a "ghosted" rear center surround channel? Is that sixth channel information still there, but just in the surrounds?

2. George Caronan

George Caronan Stunt Coordinator

I think normally the EX or ES Matrix/Discrete signal would be "collapsed" or "matrixed" into the surrounds.

3. Scott Aruti

Thank you George; then what would I be "hearing" by playing 6.1 DVDs in 5.1....I mean, am I basically just missing that discrete rear effect by a margin; would this ultimately decrease the film-watching experience?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    EX is a 5.1 format, so you will basically hear exactly the same thing, much the same as DTS-ES matrix. DTS-ES discrete has a separate rear center, but when listening on a 5.1 system, you will still hear all the information, just without the benefit of the rear center.

There are already a few extensive threads on this, maybe a search is in order.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. Scott Aruti

Thanks Guys.