What's new

DVDprofiler (1 Viewer)

Brent_H

Second Unit
so I registered DVDprofiler.....The high-quality images I am supposed to have don't look any different. I went into the settings and made sure they were all correct and everything.....I am disappointed. When I click on them to fill up the screen I expected them to be crystal clear!!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
DVD Profiler is a DB built by users- so they cannot guarantee the quality of the "HIGH RES" images. It reaqlly is a mixed bag- and even for $25 the only real option if you want consistant quality is to scan for yourself and lock them.

I scaned some "high res" images for contribution to the Database, and checked the discussion forum ahead of time there to find the rule of thumb seems to be "100-120dpi" which gets an image 400-600 pixels wide (a DVD cover scanned actual size @ 120dpi will yield a 600x870 image).

You should also check to see if the "STRETCH TO FIT" setting is turned on- as if the program is scaling the image to your selected screen size- it tends to suck.

I see the high res issue as only interesting for printing directories of the titles--- on screen they all look mediocre to me. I'm planning to register just to have decent quality images to print out a full directory of the films I own (tried with preview images and they looks like poo-doo).

-V

Brent_H

Second Unit
Vince, I am mainly doing it for a directory too...thats why I am paying for it. Well, I hope they print out nicer than they look on screen... :)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
You may need to refresh your images, if you recently registered. All new DVD profiles would contain the high res images, but anything entered before registering would still have the old, low res images.

I think there is an option somewhere to refresh all images.

-Dave

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Brent,

Yeah- make sure you went into options and selected HI RESOLUTION images- and then update the profiles (TOOLS > OPTIONS > DISPLAY TAB > Click the HIGH QUALITY box under DVD Cover Image Quality then ONLINE > REFRESH DVD FROM IVS > REFRESH IMAGES ONLY).

I'm not sure what report you're using to print out your collection- but the one I like uses an image a little less than 2.5 inches wide- so a 600 pixel wide version will print about 250dpi- which is pretty smooth.

The scans I've done at 600 wide look great printed on the report I use.

-Vince

Rodon

Second Unit
I registered it because I really really liked the program and thjought it was worth the price of a nice DVD. Since I started using several friends have started as well so it makes it easy to share listings online. I think I am the only one who has registered but another is about to drop the $25 as well. It really is a nice program I think.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I've been a strong supporter of DVD profiler in the past, but a very vocal minority has been steadily eroding the usefullness of the producting by submitting sh*t updates. Lots of them. It now takes me an hour to sift through updates to decide which ones are valid.
I just hope that Intervocative changes their contribution system. Viable alternatives have been proposed in the Intervocative forums. I hope they listen.
-Dave

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The answer is simple moderation on the part of Intervocative-- but it seems that they're not all that interested. I think they invisioned this neat program where they could collect checks while the users built the database... great concept but not realistic.

If they moderated listings and "locked down" entires after a set amount of time with no viable updates-- everything would be fine. But it's time consuming and not too glamorous. Welcome to the exciting and fast-paced world of database management.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks