1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

DVDProfiler Question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by BarryR, Jan 18, 2005.

1. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    I couldn't quite get this answered from the product information, so maybe users can help.

I'm interested in customizing my DVD collection (at least 300 by now)but not always in the way DVDP offers--I'm less interested in indexing by actor or director than by grouping my titles by chronology (films of the '40s, '80s etc.). Can DVDProfiler allow for this?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

You could sort your collection by production year. Or you can use the new tags feature added in the last release. You could make a tag for '40s, '50s, '60s, etc. Then assign the appropiate tags to your movie. Either solution is only client side of course. With your online listing, you don't have that power at this time.

You should head over to Intervocative and ask there. You'll get much better answers. You could also download the free trial and play with it a bit before deciding.

3. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm more interested in offline anyway, so that's fine. I'll check the website too.

[​IMG]

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Most of the time I keep my DVDP database in chronological order and it works pretty well (just release year, though, not more specific than that). Main problem is people putting the DVD date on a film that's 60+ years old.

5. Kevin Deselms

I wish they'd put some more work into different "skins" for the web index part, the two choices they give are so plain-looking and don't offer enough sorting options.

6. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    A different issue:

A little slow by HTF standards in getting response on the Intervocative boards and, more annoyingly, to the trouble ticket I opened regarding an error message I'm getting from the software so I figured I'd try here.

Upon attempting to "Add Now" after entering personalization data, I get the following error message:

"1661864451 is not a valid value for field 'PURCH_PLACE'. The allowed range is -32768 to 32767."

(Of course, I am not entering numeric characters in this field, but rather alpha characters.)

Anyone with any ideas please?

-p

7. _Matt_L_

_Matt_L_ Auditioning

M
    the purchase place field is a selection box of sorts. you have to add the places through the "Edit Retailers" option in the "Tools" menu.

Then when you add a new title you have to use the little down arrow menu thing to select the appropriate retailer.

8. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Matt: Thx for the reply. I'm familiar with the "Edit Retailers" function you mention (also accessible through the "Purchase Place" pulldown menu itself).

The error message I'm experiencing happens frequently both when I add a retailer and when I select one that is already pre-listed by the software.

-p

9. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Paul, I saw your message on the IVS discussion boards. That's the best place to get an answer, so be patient.

Did you try doing an uninstall/reinstall as someone suggested?

10. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

This may be a late response, but perhaps it might help:
    Actually you can also organize your online listing in groups as well. You can do this by assigning each group of titles a specific prefix to their collection number. For instance, you can assign all DVDs of '40s films 4xx (401-499), and '50s films 5xx (501-599), etc.

If you look at my collection, I have an example of using collection numbers as a way of sorting groups of DVDs for both client-side and online listings.

The important thing to remember is that when you add new titles, be sure to assign them the appropriate prefix. You don't have to worry about the last two digits as you can always use the reassign collection number option and select to only reassign numbers within a category - this will also allow you to customize how each category is sorted.

Once you start to play around with some of the less obvious features of DVD Profiler you will quickly realize just how good this program is and how it can be customized quite easily to fit just about any need that might come up.

11. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Yes Joe, I un- and re-installed the software. The problem persisted.

I understand from a poster on the Intervocative board that you must manually delete from your hard drive the Profiler directories which remain after an uninstall, otherwise the corrupt data is still there upon reinstallation.

I'll try that next . . .

-p