What's new

DVD rot-a hopeful story (1 Viewer)

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Lassiter
Last month I sat down to watch my Image Entertainment SE DVD of Short Circuit . I had watched it once before last year when I bought it and had no problems.
But as I was viewing it somewhere around the half-way point the picture locked up and stopped cold. I could not advance the disc in any way and had to eject it. I blew off the disc and tried advancing to the same point and it locked up again. I took it out again and examined it and noticed the darker brown discoloration that others have spoken about when refering to DVD rot.
Now I have been reading on HTF about discs like Contactand L.A. Confidential and luckily have had no problems with the questionable discs thus far.
Well, I want a playable copy of Short Circuit and since it has been treated very carefully I felt this was not my problem but Image Entertainment's. So I wrote them a letter a few weeks ago complaining and saying they should replace discs that do this because it is a manufacturing defect.
Not 10 minutes ago I got a phone call from Dave Dickerman at Image Entertainment. He was very nice and said they ABSOLUTELY would replace the disc. He told me a new one was shipping out to me right away. He didn't ask for it but I said I would send the old one back to them so they could try and figure out what went wrong.
My point in all this is simple. I have read many forum members' complaints about DVD rot and they all talk about how they are going to have to re-buy a disc because it rotted. But I think it's the manufacturer's responsiblity to correct these mistakes and replace failing discs that have been handled properly with new ones. When we buy a new DVD, I believe there is a good faith agreement with the manufacturer that the disc will last.
Image Entertainment has proven that they understand this and gone out of their way to let me know.
Has anyone else had a similar experience with a rotted DVD?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
i got Kentucky Fried Movie when it first came out on DVD and watched it a few times with no problems. earlier this week, upon trying to watch it again, it failed to work in my player. i got in touch with Crest National (via Anchor Bay's website) and they're asking for me to send the disc to them, which i suppose i'll do. hopefully it turns out for the best.
btw, Dan, i'm the guy who bought your Escape From New York laserdisc on eBay (unless there are 2 Dan Lassiters in Janesville, WI). :)
DJ

Scott H

Supporting Actor
I totally agree. If you have a defective DVD it should not be difficult to have it replaced (if still available), no matter when you discover the problem. And regardless of the defect. A reason not to panic about a rare problem.

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
Anchor Bay did indeed replace my Kentukey Fried Movie DVD when it started massively pixellating. Thanks AB!

Jim

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I've had success getting Warner to replace a bad copy of MY FAIR LADY.

I was able to exchange a bad GHOSTBUSTERS at BestBuy.

But now I'm having trouble getting MGM to even acknowledge or reply to my complaints to them about YELLOW SUBMARINE. I've sent two e-mails explaining the issue, with no reply in over a month. Next step is to call their customer service number, but I haven't tried yet.

It's nice when a manufacturer will stand behind their product and replace it. It's still a hassle for the consumer but at least you feel like they care. Of course, the best solution would be for them to find a way to prevent these issues in the first place.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
For all the grief Anchor Bay gets at least they come through with replacement discs. I've been trying to replace a defective DVD (The Sweet Hereafter) through New Line since Christmas and I can't get anyone there to respond to emails or written letters. It's starting to sour my whole image of the company even though I like their discs.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
David Dickerman was the same guy that responded to my note on a defective Handel's "Messiah". I sent my old copy back and they sent me a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks