What's new

DVD Player that plays all formats for 200 (1 Viewer)

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if there is any good player out there for 200 or so that will play all the formats like DVD/DVD-R/DVD-RW/CD-R/CDRW/MP3.

Thanks.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic RV31 if you are not interested in progressive scan capabilities right now. No chroma bug.

Dan

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Panny RK31 as was mentioned or Pioneer DV-440. If you want DVD-Audio, then the Panny RA60 is the only player I know ~$200.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
If budget is an issue, go with the Daewoo DVD5700 available for $99.95 at just about any Sam's Warehouse store. It plays everything you listed, and does oh so much more; including multi-region play.
The link below takes you to a site with information on how to make the DVD5700 region free and RCE proof with the supplied remote control. No region changing is needed once the unit is set up for region 9, and any disc plays when you load it.
http://www.dvd-wizards.com/darrenk/D...-5700patch.htm
It does not offer progrssive output, but it has very good picture quality for a budget player (and actually better than some higher-end models I have owned) but does have component output. It also offers decent onboard PAL to NTSC conversion and vise versa.
The player's firmware is upgradeable by CD-ROM, and the above site also offers firmware upgrades that tweak the player for best performance and versatility, including the bypassing of Macrovison for people like myself who have had problems with legitimate viewing of Macrovision encoded discs on Misubishi and other monitors/televisions that have a history of compatibilty issues with the copyguard process.
For $99.99 the DAEWOO DVD 5000 a no brainer.
PLEASE NOTE:
This forum majorly frowns upon bootlegging, so the information above is not to be taken as endorsement for such behavior.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You should know that there are multiple forms of DVD/RW and most of them won't play on any standard DVD player. Aside from that, there are actually quite a few players that play all the other formats. Apex plus a couple other manufacturers make them for under $100. Be aware, they may have some shortcomings. A friend got an Apex that has pretty serious artifacting during any motion. He doesn't seem to notice it, so I didn't say anything. JVC, Samsung and Panasonic, and probably others have models under $200 as well. I have a Samsung DVD-N501 that is NUON enhanced and under $200 and also recently got a Toshiba SD-3750 which is progressive capable and also about $200. Both have all the features you are asking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks