What's new

DVD player and CD-Rs (1 Viewer)

Isaac C

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Like most SONY DVD player owners, I am equally-frustrated that these units refuse to play CD-R disks
frown.gif
However, I haven't heard anyone try "Audio CD-R" disks.
Standalone CD-R recorders refuse to work if an ordinary blank CD-R is used. Apparently, standalone CD recorders look for some kind of indicator on the blank CD to signal the recorder that an Audio CD-R is present. Otherwise, the recorder refuses to work. Ordinary, 'computer' blank CD-R disks do not have the Audio CD-R indicator, but both disk types should work with any computer CD burner, which does not care about the said indicator.
I was wondering if the same indicator is used by SONY DVD players to distinguish between Audio and non-Audio CD-R disks. Has anyone tried these disks yet? Do they work?
Thanks in advance! :)
------------------
Subwoofer Simulator: http://www.geocities.com/f4ier/subsim.htm
Factor Conversion Tool: http://www.geocities.com/f4ier/fct.htm

Kevin P

Screenwriter
It's not the Computer vs. Audio CD-R that's your problem, it's the single-wavelength laser pickup in your Sony DVD player. It's just not designed to read CD-Rs, period. Most of the newer models will read them, though.
CD-RWs will work in my Sony DVP-S9000ES, maybe you should try burning to those to play in your DVD player.
KJP
(edited again, really mincing words this morning!)
[Edited last by Kevin P on September 23, 2001 at 09:30 AM]

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony DVD player myself and am successfully able to play .VCD (video CD) and .CDA (music) files on my Sony DVP-S330 only with CDRWs Ive tried every type of CDR and only have been able to make CDRWs work. Try this link
http://vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DV...=Search&list=0
it shows a list of Sony DVD players and what type media CDR or CDRW even DVDRs &DVDRWs works best with your model this mostly for VCDs but will help in selecting the best media for you.
Good Luck

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
My Sony DVP-S360 refuses CDRs too. But I made a compilation that lasted 77 minutes, so I had to use a 80 Mins blank. I used a "Cursor" blank and it worked. Normally (When less than 74 minutes) I use Verbatim and they don't work.
Verbatim CD-RWs work fine too...
I think it has to do with the color of the surface, if they are Dark Blue, they won't work. But if they are light-green (Like the Cursor 80mins I used) it can work. CDRWs work most of the time because they are gray.

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently I don't fully understand the original question. What does a DVD player have to do with a CD-R RECORDER? Sony DVD players do not, for the most part, play CD-Rs, period.
------------------
Norm Strong ([email protected])

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Sony DVD players do not, for the most part, play CD-Rs, period.
That isn't true. I have a two-year-old DVP-S300 that plays CD-Rs just fine.
Sony's early players had dual laser pick-ups, one optimized for DVD playback, the other for CD. But as DVD players started to take off and Sony made an effort to drastically lower the cost of its players, the company eliminated the dual pick-up design on all but the top-of-the-line model.
For two model years, most Sony players would not play CD-R because of the wavelength of the laser. The exception was the DVP-S7700, which still had the dual pick-up design.
Starting with this model year, Sony has recognized the demand for CD-R compatibility. I don't know what technology they're using, but now all Sony players except for the entry-level DVP-NS300 play CD-R. The model '400 costs $30 more than the '300, and is CD-R and CD-RW compatible.
With the models that aren't compatible, you can get lucky if you use a lighter-color brand of blank CD-R. Otherwise, it's time to get one of the newer-model players.

John Wilson

Supporting Actor
I just wanted to chime in that I have a DVP-N300 player and have had good luck with Memorex 80 min CD-Rs with the green surface. I guess I lucked out.
biggrin.gif

------------------
John F. Wilson
Timing is Everything.
[email protected] Weekdays
[email protected] Nights and Weekends

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks