DVD player and CD-Rs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Isaac C, Sep 23, 2001.

1. Isaac C

Isaac C Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    Like most SONY DVD player owners, I am equally-frustrated that these units refuse to play CD-R disks [​IMG] However, I haven't heard anyone try "Audio CD-R" disks.
    Standalone CD-R recorders refuse to work if an ordinary blank CD-R is used. Apparently, standalone CD recorders look for some kind of indicator on the blank CD to signal the recorder that an Audio CD-R is present. Otherwise, the recorder refuses to work. Ordinary, 'computer' blank CD-R disks do not have the Audio CD-R indicator, but both disk types should work with any computer CD burner, which does not care about the said indicator.
    I was wondering if the same indicator is used by SONY DVD players to distinguish between Audio and non-Audio CD-R disks. Has anyone tried these disks yet? Do they work?
    Thanks in advance! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Subwoofer Simulator: http://www.geocities.com/f4ier/subsim.htm
    Factor Conversion Tool: http://www.geocities.com/f4ier/fct.htm

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

It's not the Computer vs. Audio CD-R that's your problem, it's the single-wavelength laser pickup in your Sony DVD player. It's just not designed to read CD-Rs, period. Most of the newer models will read them, though.
    CD-RWs will work in my Sony DVP-S9000ES, maybe you should try burning to those to play in your DVD player.
    KJP
    (edited again, really mincing words this morning!)
    [Edited last by Kevin P on September 23, 2001 at 09:30 AM]

3. Isaac C

4. Rik P

Rik P Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony DVD player myself and am successfully able to play .VCD (video CD) and .CDA (music) files on my Sony DVP-S330 only with CDRWs Ive tried every type of CDR and only have been able to make CDRWs work. Try this link
    http://vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DV...=Search&list=0
    it shows a list of Sony DVD players and what type media CDR or CDRW even DVDRs &DVDRWs works best with your model this mostly for VCDs but will help in selecting the best media for you.
    Good Luck

5. Isaac C

6. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

My Sony DVP-S360 refuses CDRs too. But I made a compilation that lasted 77 minutes, so I had to use a 80 Mins blank. I used a "Cursor" blank and it worked. Normally (When less than 74 minutes) I use Verbatim and they don't work.
    Verbatim CD-RWs work fine too...
    I think it has to do with the color of the surface, if they are Dark Blue, they won't work. But if they are light-green (Like the Cursor 80mins I used) it can work. CDRWs work most of the time because they are gray.

7. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

Apparently I don't fully understand the original question. What does a DVD player have to do with a CD-R RECORDER? Sony DVD players do not, for the most part, play CD-Rs, period.
    ------------------
    Norm Strong (nhsns@aol.com)

8. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

9. John Wilson

John Wilson Supporting Actor

I just wanted to chime in that I have a DVP-N300 player and have had good luck with Memorex 80 min CD-Rs with the green surface. I guess I lucked out. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    John F. Wilson
    Timing is Everything.
    jwilson@unionsemiconductor.com Weekdays
    jvwilson@iglide.net Nights and Weekends