DVD - digital transfer edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by ted cruz, Aug 24, 2004.

1. ted cruz

ted cruz Auditioning

I just bought the special edition release of "Goodfellas", which is an "all-new digital transfer". I had already owned the previous DVD version. I compared the two DVD's and found that the S.E. had a better picture. However, I thought that since DVD stands for "DIGITAL video disc", they should all have been transferred digitally. My problem is that it seems I'll have to pay extra and get digital transfers of DVD's that I already own, such as "The Lost Boys", which came out two weeks ago for $20. How do I know not to buy a DVD that doesn't have a digital transfer (such as the original DVD releases of Goodfellas and The Lost Boys), so that I can wait to buy the digital transfer release later? The original DVD release of Goodfellas and The Lost Boys, for example, did not say "This is the crappy version. Wait for the digital transfer version in about 4 years."

2. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks Second Unit

Stephen Brooks
    UUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm m..................................yeah.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Studios don't employ psychics (yet).

When Goodfellas was originally released to DVD in 1998 (I think), the demand for quality wasn't as high as it is now. In 1998, there's no way Warner would have expected to release a special edition... in fact, before 2001, they rarely did re-issues. They didn't do any real 2-disc SE's until 2001 (although, Any Given Sunday and JFK had "bonus" material disks tucked away).

I guess the simple solution is to just not buy anything on DVD since it may be upgraded in the future. [​IMG]

4. Don Solosan

Don Solosan Supporting Actor

"All new digital transfer" doesn't mean that what came out before wasn't done digitally. It was. It's just that the technology wasn't as good when those came out, so the studio is redoing them to our present level of quality.

My only advice is when you're planning on buying a DVD title, do a little research on the various versions available. Lots of movies have been released in multiple versions of varying quality, so you want to be careful.

Also get used to double dipping if you're a real movie fanatic, because the technology is always improving and new, better versions of your favorite movies are always on the way.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It's more like seven years. The original Lost Boys DVD was released in January 1998. The original Goodfellas DVD was released in March 1997. At the time they were the best versions of the films ever to appear on home video.

Technology improves, and films get reissued with improved presentation. You have to make peace with that reality, or this hobby won't be any fun.

M.

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I could record a movie from CED videodisc onto my DVD recorder and technically that would be a "digital transfer" [​IMG]