What's new

DVD Audio Setup Question (1 Viewer)

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
I recently upgraded my old Bose AM6 setup to a pair of Paradigm Studio 60's. I've got the 60's connected to a Yamaha RXV-595 receiver (DD, DPL). My problem concerns setting up the audio output from my Panasonic A-105 DVD player (connected with digital coax, also used as a CD player). The player has the following options under the Digital Audio Output menu:

1. LPCM (DVD) ---> (Off or PCM)

2. Dolby Digital ---> (Bitstream or PCM)

Considering that the receiver decodes DD and DPL, and the sound is only being output by the left and right channel (with a phantom center) which settings should I select on the DVD player? Also, when viewing DVD's with Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic soundtracks, should I set the receiver to the DD or DPL setting, or should I turn the audio processing off for straight 2ch stereo(Effect Off)? I really want to get the best performance out of my new gear, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I'm not certain on the first one, but I think you want that set to Off.

With the second one, you'll want to set that to Bitstream.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Justin, even tho you're using a digital connection, you will be listening in DD 2-Channel Stereo. (It appears you do not have rear surrounds currently hooked up).

...with much respect to J.Fo, and leaving sampling theory to RicP, let's take a look at a Panasonic DVD manual.

Try this:

1. Set the PCM Down Conversion to NO or OFF YES.
2. Dolby Digital -- Select PCM.
3. Leave DTS Digital Surround in the DVDp setup menu to OFF.

While you're in there, ensure that D for Dynamic Range Compression is set for OFF, otherwise ON reduces the high-low output vis a vis the volume so one doesnt disturb others late at night.

Also, when viewing DVD's with Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic soundtracks, should I set the receiver to the DD or DPL setting, or should I turn the audio processing off for straight 2ch stereo(Effects Off)
Set up as above, the rcvr indicates "PCM." Leaving the rcvr input mode at "DVD Auto," you can set the usual stereo mode for EFFECTS OFF or the sound processor to the DD NORMAL/ENHANCED (I dont hear any difference) or try some of Yamaha's movie DSP effects, whatever you'd prefer.

Just to keep the receiver happy, use the Yamaha remote to turn the CTR and Rears to NONE and Bass to MAINS and mains set LARGE in the absense of a subwoofer.

Nice speakers, BTW.

bill

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
Bill and Jeffrey,

Thanks for the replies. I have a few questions. First, what is PCM Downconversion and why do I want it set to off? Second, by setting the Digital Audio Output to PCM, I'm telling the DVD player to output the uncompressed PCM track rather than the compressed DD track? If so, am I correct in inferring that the 2ch PCM track would result in better audio output through my two speakers rather than playing the 5.1 channel track with a phantom center? Would setting the receiver to decode the 2ch PCM track as Pro Logic sound better than just turning the effects off? Thanks in advance.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I see that I made a mistake in interpreting my Panny DVD manual for connecting a digital cable "To enjoy stereo or Dolby Pro Logic" in which PCM Down Conversion is "Yes." I corrected my post above.

Would setting the receiver to decode the 2ch PCM track as Pro Logic sound better than just turning the effects off?
I just tried this, setting everything for 2-chl DVD, and as I said, I didn't hear any difference. YMMV.

I'll leave LPCM sampling/compression/DVD copyright protection to others...

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Justin,

I saw you post and skipped it becuase I'm unsure of what you're trying to do exactly.

The bottom line is this: the setting you're asking about will simply select how digital info from your DVD player is handled. How you configure this will be absed on how you run your system. I gleened from a quick skim that you are running your system 2 channel, in which case you have 2 options:

One, set the Dolby setting to PCM (and the LPCM setting to PCM), and it will downmix to 2 channel internally and pass this as a PCM stream to the receiver.

Two, set the dolby setting to bitstream (and the LPCM to PCM) and then tell your receiver that you have no center or surround speakers- and it will downconvert to 2 channel for you.

Either way you'll get a 2 channel downcoversion.

From there you can turn on DPL processing- but it shouldn't make much difference as the 2.0 done l/r should be identical to a DPL version done with only L/R

-Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks