What's new

DVD-A discs that won't play in your player, list them! (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
There seem to be alot of disc/player problems out there. The Panasonic RP91 won't play Boz Scaggs' DIG. Now it turns out that the new Pioneer 47A won't play it correctly either. DIG seems to be the worst case scenario, or is it the players...? What DVD-A problems have you had? Maybe we can establish some patterns or find a few answers?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Rachael,

Can you describe the failure?

Instead of close, hit play with the tray open and see what happens. The DVD navigator should immediately being playback of Group 1.

I've only been able to try Dig on 4 DVD players:

Kenwood DV-5700, JVC XV-75SA, Toshiba SD-5700 and Onkyo DV-S939. All of them play the disc without a problem.

I haven't been able to test Dig on an RP-91 though. I'm out of town on a business trip, so I won't be able to look at this until the weekend.

Let's see, you have one disc that refuses to play on multiple players. That's almost certainly an authoring problem. Given that Virgin doesn't have a ton of DVD-A discs out, it is likely this is the case.

Methinks this is a mountain out of a molehill at this point in time.

Regards,

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, it's been casually mentioned in several threads lately that there are other disc/player incompatibilities out there. Let's take a count of them. DIG is certainly the notorious one of them all, but there are others. My RP91 has version 236 firmware and it freezes on 2 seconds of DIG, BTW. Best wishes!

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Rachael,

As I mentioned on another thread, my DV-47A had absolutely no problem playing Dig. As John mentioned, I load the disc, close the tray and it automatically starts playing. And yes, I'm playing DVD-A, not DD version.

RicP

Screenwriter
While I don't own Dig, I have 30 DVD-A discs and not one of them has any problems at all on the RP-91.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
I also own both the 91RP and the 47A. Neither one of these players will play the DIG DVD. The 91RP locks up completely and the 47A acts like it's playing it but I get no audio. Scrolling through the 47As display to the bit rate, the bit rate during play back shows 0 bit rate.......

I can get DIG to play only on non-DVD audio DVD players.

Not sure what's going on here, my it's just my copy of DIG that has the problem.

geo

Mavrick

Auditioning
I owned the Toshiba 4700 and before returning it for various reasons ,it would not play the Billy Cobham disc,if I remember correctly I had to skip to the third track hit the play button and it would start playing and then back

track to the first track and let it play.It also would not play the the Metallica disc on track 4.I now have the 47a,and I am having the same problems as Geo,although if I go through all the tracks on the DIG disc it takes me to group 2 and starts playing the Dolby Digital layer

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I have 18 DVD-Audio discs and have not had a problem playing any of them on my Technics DVD-A10. However, I do not have the Dig disc.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
I also have the Technics A10, it won't play DIG either.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

geo

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Geo, based on your experience, I won't be buying the Boz Scaggs disc. Good thing I'm not a big fan. ;)

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Geo,

While playing Dig, the trans rate on my DV-47A is running between 7.5 and 8.5. It varies on each song. On the dics I'm playing right now, it's running 4.5 to 5.5.

BTW, where are you in Reno? I'm on W. Plumb.

NP: Olivia Newton John-One Woman's Live Journey DVD-A

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Mavrick,

The Al Green "Greatest Hits" disc I tried on the Toshiba SD-5700 is on EMI and did not play on the Toshiba as well. It has the record label promos and other assorted "commercials" in Group 1. The SD-5700 played Group 1 on repeat, and I had to hit the "Menu" button to access the main menu. This disc is the worst example of authoring I've seen so far.

I'll pick up "Spectrum" when I get home and see what's up with that title.

I'll warn you now that the Toshiba players have the worst navigator's I've seen.

Regards,

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, Toshiba comes up alot as having DVD-A problems lately. As for discs, as best I can remember, DIG (of course!), Aaron Neville's DEVOTION, Billy Cobham's SPECTRUM are the most mentioned for no play.

There must be a few more incompatiable discs, players out there? Pipe up folks!

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Rachael,

I think we have been down this road before. Thanks for starting this thread. I have the Tosh 4700 and have had some problems. The first is that, like mentioned above, I couldn't play the Billy Cobham disk at all. I tried two different copies and it just locked the player up at the menu. However, it would play the other side with the DD or DTS (I can't remember which) tracks fine. I have also had some minor problems with the Pat Metheny disk, there are pops and clicks in the center channel for about 30 seconds at one part of the disk. These aren't audible on the DD tracks. Tried two copies of this disk and the problem was identical on both. I haven't tried the Dig disk, and I don't think I will given the problems.

Anyone tried the Fourplay or Blue Man group disks on a 4700? I think I would like to get them next, but am a little shell shocked to just go out and buy a disk anymore.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff said:

I tried two different copies and it just locked the player up at the menu. However, it would play the other side with the DD or DTS (I can't remember which) tracks fine.
That is extremely disconcerting given that the '4700 is a DVD-Audio player. Sorry to hear you are having these problems.

Mavrick

Auditioning
John.

Before I returned the Toshiba 4700 it had trouble playing

Billy Cobham and Metallica,although it played the Boz Scaggs

Dig disc just fine. I now have the Pioneer 47a and it plays

the Cobham and Metallica discs but not the Boz Scaggs,any

idea what causes this? kinda strange...

The 47a plays the two EMI discs, Al Green and Eric Johnson jim dandy, also does a nice job with the SACD discs.

thanks and have a good day

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

Thanks alot, no kidding. By the time I started realizing that there were problems, it was too late to return it. I started out buying DVD Audio disks with a lot of excitement, but the problems with certain disks kind of killed my enthusiasm for DVD audio. I thought I could just play the DD tracks, but they just didn't compare to the DVD-audio tracks. I couldn't see playing upwards of $20 for a disk that didn't do what it was supposed to do so the ones that don't play I take back. The ELP, Buena Vista and Bela disks all play flawlessly in my player. Go figure it.

CameronJ

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone tried the Fourplay or Blue Man group disks on a 4700? I think I would like to get them next, but am a little shell shocked to just go out and buy a disk anymore.
Jeff,

I have the 5700, and the Blue Man group DVD-A plays very well.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
I was finally able to get the 47A to play DIG!!!

In the 47As menu there is an area where you select how many groups to play, single or all. By selecting all, the 47A still won't play group 1, but it would play group 2. I'm not sure if group 2 is DVD Audio or DD. The display shows both and audio is present at the digital outputs and the analog outputs. I'll continue to check this out and let those who are interested know what I find out.

Micahel C,

I live off of Robb Dr. (Northwest Reno)

geo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks