What's new

DVD-A discs that won't play in your player, list them! (1 Viewer)

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Geo,
On Dig, Group 1 is DVD-A and Group 2 is Dolby Digital. My guess is that it's something in your player setup that causing it to default to Group 2. I did some playing around and have now figured out how to get the player to switch between the groups.
You're just a stone's throw from me. My mail service is up at the Albertson's shopping center at McCarran and 7th. If you want, email me offline at [email protected] and I'll give you my phone number and maybe I can walk you through getting it to change over to Group 1.
mike

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I too have lost enthusism for DVD-A. DIG was the last one I bought. How can this sub-format go anyplace with all these problem discs or players? I've become more intrested in SACD 'cause it always works right, or has for me. I can't recall anybody saying a SACD won't play. When I get an Outlaw bass manager, I'm gonna get back into DVD-A some. Some titles I want have sprouted up.... Nobody has mentioned a Denon or Onkyo player as having disc problems. Is this a trend? Or, does nobody here have them? Bes wishes cats!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rachael and Jeff, I am sorry to hear that you have lost enthusiasm for DVD-Audio. While I do prefer SACD, DVD-Audio has been a great addition to my main stereo and home-theater systems. However, the compatibility problems that you and others have experienced is definitely troublesome. Some have said that there are differences in the way DVD-Audio discs are authored and that some are not authored well. The nice thing about SACD is that the discs and players function just like CD players. SACD does have its bugs with compatibility, but they are minor in comparison to what some people have observed with DVD-Audio. Anyway, DVD-Audio just seems to be overly complicated in comparison to SACD. As I have said, I can play Warner DVD-Audio discs on my Technics DVD-A10 without a TV, but I know that some discs from other labels are not as easy to negotiate. That is disconcerting.

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Cameron, maybe I will try that one next.

Actually, after this thread I am a little more optomistic. I really hope that the problems are not as bad as they seem and may be primarily related to the 2 most problematic disks, Dig and Billy Cobham. I guess I will give DVD-A a second chance and buy a few more disks. I really find that I do like the multichannel surround mixes.

The 4700 didn't cost that much, it has played every DVD that I have thrown at it and I added CD-R support and progressive scan above my old player, DVD-A was just an added bonus (and only about $20 above players without it).

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
John Kotches,

What did you think of the Al Green DVD-A sound quality?

This thread is proof of the problems of DVD/DVD-A. As much as we 'love' it, it forever breaks our heart. The same things happen with films on DVD. This player will, this player will not.

Hope 'they' continue to improve. But, at the 'early' stages we are with DVD-A, I am afraid only 'time' will solve all.

Then some 'new' copy proof system will screw everything, and everybody, up again!

Peace.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
The metallica DVDA will play track 4 on a 4700 if you you tap the forward or reverse search button then hit play real quick. It's a pain I know; but to get started in DVDA cheap I can deal until I get a more expensive player. Also the stereo track plays without any problems. It just won't play on multi channel.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Seth,

I also have a JVC DVD-A player (721bk), and have never had a problem with the dozen or so DVD-A's that I own (though it has refused to play certain DVD-Videos). This is one of the reasons I haven't rushed to upgrade to the Toshiba 5700 or Panny RP-91, because this JVC has NEVER had a problem with DVD-A. I'm keeping this puppy around as long as I can given the erratic nature of this format from player to player. Besides, from what Rachael has explained to me, the bass management of the JVC is a little better on the JVC than the RP-91. I wonder how the RP-91 compares with my JVC sonically?

Reg

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Ed,

I don't recall anything about the sonics of the Al Green disc -- truthfully I bought it too take a look at the authoring.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks