What's new

Dune TV version on DVD anyone? (1 Viewer)

3rdStageNavigator

Auditioning
Real Name
john
Hi, just bought this and inside the box there is a side sleeve where I think the little booklet should go, along with some advertisements, but nothing was there. Anyone else own this DVD who could let me know whether or not theirs came with a booklet or anything? It won't be the end of the world if nothing was meant to go there, but it would be nice to have a printed scene index if that's what came with everyone else's :P

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Nope, there weren't any booklets released for this set. Just wish that they would release a directors cut version of Children of Dune.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
It's a very good mini series and the current version available as a directors edition that had additional footage added back into the series. It's a shame that some of you haven't picked up this release yet because it's very good and Target sells it for $7.50.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Yeah the first mini-series was awesome. I liked COD as well I have to pick that up sometime. I guess they won't be making anymore mini-series though which is a shame.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Actually to answer the original post. I got a booklet with mine it has a scene index and a statement by the director about the making.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Or even a set containing that Susan Sarandon-hosted Sci-Fi Channel special focusing on the women of the Dune saga (both the movies and the books, from what I recall). What fat bag of crack were the DVD producers smoking when they decided to leave stuff like that off the Children set? It ain't like there wasn't any room left for it on the second disc or anything. Sheesh.

That said, as far as a "director's cut" of Children of Dune goes, I remember reading a John Harrison interview after it aired where he said that the final cut of Children as it was broadcast was more or less the de facto "director's version," as there was very little trimmed or changed, unlike the original Dune mini. Though there might've been additional nudity chopped out of Children...been awhile since I read that interview.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
The set originally came with a booklet, but more recent copies no longer have it. I originally bought the set the day of release, and I remember the booklet. Later on, I sold the set while thinning my DVD collection and when Target had it for $7.50 I picked it up again

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Well that explains it then.

As for CoD I can't find it locally anymore (was waiting for a SE) so I guess I'll have to order it online.

3rdStageNavigator

Auditioning
Real Name
john

Yeah that's where I bought mine, had a $5 dvd coupon that was about to expire, so combined with the $7.50 list price and almost 5 hours of runtime according to the box, I paid .50 per hour, so suppose I can live without the booklet for that. Thanks for the info everyone.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
CoD has become scarce and I've found a copy or two at Best Buy but it wasn't a real noteworthy movie. The original Dune 3 disk Directors Cut release was but not Children of Dune. The acting just seemed very stiff.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
The cinematographer who worked on "Dune" for Sci-Fi was the same individual that gave "Dick Tracy" its unique look. I think he also won an Academy Award along the way.

There is a lot of interesting coloring and lighting in the film. Much of the movie (believe it or not) was shot on a sound stage, but they used these "photoreal" backgrounds that they could project light through that gave the movie its unique look (yes, I know it might sound odd, but it really did create a very credible and unique look to the film).

I owned both versions of the mini-series, but the Director's Cut is the one to get.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I also found the commentaries on Dune to be really informative and interesting as well.

Personally, I always liked the look of the show, but it is pretty obvious it was shot on soundstages without using bluescreen (most of the time). However, if you listen to the commentary either the director or someone else mentions how they went through all of this trouble to make sure the real sand in the foreground and the painted sand on the backdrops matched in color. However, when they took delivery of the real sand it turned out they had been shipped the wrong color and didn't have time to wait for a correction. So I often wonder how the movie would look if the correct sand had actually been shipped. You definately can see a difference, though I think it's subtle enough that you only really notice it subconsciously.

Roger_R

Second Unit
You mean the totally fake backgrounds that screamed "SOUNDSTAGE"? Yes, they were.... interesting, and gave it a unique look, but I'd have preferred real desert. :)

And to answer the tread starter, my copy of the 3-disc DVD set also came with a booklet.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

Mine came with a booklet as well.

I know the backgrounds were cheesy, but in this particular instance, it didn't bother me all that much.

They tried to get a unique look on a budget.

I like the fact that it looked like a low-budget "retro" production on one hand, but also included CGI for a number of the scenes.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Well, it is space opera. Staginess is to be expected :)

I don't care how fakey the sets looked, since on every other count it blew away Lynch's awful adaptation.

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed Dune miniseries tremendously, but I expected too. I was totally blown away by the Children of Dune, and this considering that I don't care much for the two original novels upon which it is based. It's not perfect by any means, but that it attempts so much in terms of integratio of plot, ideas, characters, and achieves a good portion of it is what I found amazing.

I hope to see both of them on one of the high def dvd formats eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks