What's new

any hope for Waterworld SE? (1 Viewer)

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
I have always been a huge fan of this movie. I saw it in theaters and thought that it was really cool. Does anyone know if there are any chances for an SE of this movie? The current release is pretty old and has no extras whatsoever. I am sure that this movie has a beavy of extras just waiting to be seen. This movie at the time of its release was one of the most expensive movies made.
If an SE is made, it must contain the 16:9 version of the Director's Cut which greatly adds to the movie and makes it so much better. I have a recorded copy of the DC from it's airing on TV, but I would like to have it in widescreen with all of the violence and swears restored.
Honestly, if DUNE Director's Cut is coming on dvd, (which no one believed was possible) why not this movie?
or Frightener's Director's Cut for that matter. Especially Frightener's since all universal would have to do is transfer all of the extras over from the extremely rare Laserdisc. Please universal, if you are reading this, PLEASE RELEASE WATERWORLD AND FRIGHTENERS ON DVD IN SPECIAL EDITIONS CONTAING THE DIRECTOR'S CUTS OF THE MOVIES!!
-Mark

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

The fabled longer Lynch-approved version is apparently NOT coming to DVD, unfortunately. :frowning: And, as far as a director's cut of WATERWORLD, I don't see how it would help unless all of the footage in the theatrical cut is replaced with different, better footage...I'm sorry, I know you love the film, but...man...all I see is a twelfth-rate ROAD WARRIOR rip-off made for two hundred times the budget. I am mildly curious to know what is missing from the theatrical cut, however.

And, I love Peter Jackson, but THE FRIGHTENERS I found to be much too Zemeckis-y, although I did love Jeffrey Combs' bit. What is missing from THE FRIGHTENERS that could be put back in a Director's Cut? I haven't really kept up with this one.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
The director's cut of Waterworld ties up some of the questions or loose ends that you may have had while watching the film. Such as how a character ended up at the right place at the right time sort of deal.It also fleshes out parts of the story.
For example the new ending shows that they are on Mt Everest.
other scenes explain more about Hopper's character the Deacon, and more about the relationship between the mariner and the woman.
The story behind the making of the movie is pretty interesting. As mentioned above, Kevin Reynolds preferred cut is the longer director's cut as it explains much more and is a more cohearent movie. However, since at this time Costner had power and was bankable,(funny since his changes made the movie worse and now we all know how popular he became after the movie:) he took the completed movie, and edited to his own liking. This ruined the filmmaking relationship between the two and it caused a pretty tense feud that the two had until only a year or two ago when they made the commentary for Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.
Honestly though, the movie probably isn't that good. I have always had a soft spot for apocalyptic movies or cheezy sci-fi. I regularly buy on occasion the Itallian apocalyptic movies and we all know how cheezy they are!!
I guess being a film student, I personally find the best qualities of movies. Many of my other student friends are so critical of each and every movie being made, they say that it's not arty enough. Seeing how hard it is to make movies, I can no longer hate any movie (well there are always exceptions) as I feel for the producers and directors. Also, arty movies don't sell. I make movies that I personally would watch and enjoy, which so happens to be fun movies with great stories. My goal is not for 10 arty people to see my movies and like them, I want to make movies that many will enjoy and watch. When people pay 8-9 dollars to see a movie, I want it to be good entertainment and fun, not boring. The story should be so intriguing that they become entralled with the picture.
I Apologize for going on my little speech here.
Actually, it's been a while since I've watched the Frightener's DC, so I can't give you as detailed a description about what was cut. However, as mentioned in my previous post, the LD was full of features such as a 4.5 hour doc on the movie! This doc explains everything you wanted to know, and even more that you didn't want to know about the movie and all of its aspects. I just want to see this on dvd along with the 2 hour version of the movie.
Hope this explains everything.
-Mark

Rodneyk

Auditioning
I have caught a few minutes of the longer Waterworld on TV and I think it adds some interesting stuff...but I am one of the people that actually like the movie. I saw it in the theater on opening weekend (one of those movies you go see to see how bad it is) and actually liked it.

Remember, I never said it was good, I just said I liked it.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
bad or good (i really liked it faults and all) it made a whole lot more money than dune and the frighteners

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I like THE POSTMAN, but only on a so-abysmally-bad-that-it's-kinda-fascinating level. The slo-mo handoff of the mailbag is the hilarious nadir of overwrought, mawkish, ersatz sentimentality in the film.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I find Waterworld exhilarating. Certain sequences are astonishing. Most people who watch films don't appreciate how hard it is to film out at sea and pull off incredible stunts. In fact, Waterworld is one of the great stunt-movies, but it is also an intriguing story, if a bit hokey.

Most movie-goers had made up their minds - or had them made up by the Media - before they had even seen the teaser trailer and it became the Heaven's Gate of the Nineties. But when I compare Waterworld with Cameron's, Titanic (not strictly similar films story-wise, but similar in budget, scope anf lavishness) I find Waterworld much more fun, better acted (on its own terms) and more rewarding on repeated viewings.

The longer TV-cut is also significantly better than the theatrical cut. Universal really ought to consider a definitive set of the film with copious extras, DTS, etc.

The Postman is, however, awful and I was delighted to see that Costner hadn't lost the plot when I saw Open Range. Fine Western.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i still have the dvd in a cd jewel case from one of the earl releases.
would love to have a new longer cut.
longer cut aired on one of the encore chanels a few years ago.

i didnt have encore at the time.

i remember when it aired on abc.
i dont even think it was advertsed as a longer cut.
it just was.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I've never understood the hatred for this one. I think its a fantastic action film. Amazing sets, outstanding action sequences, good villains, and a fun storyline. I would love to see an uncut SE.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Encore aired both the censored and uncensored language versions of the longer TV cut. I think the extended TV cut is far better than the TC. The Sci-Fi channel does show it from time to time now.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
Count me in as one who would love to see behind the scenes features on this. I know it's not a great movie but it's at least interesting. And I freakin' LOVE the music. Makes it a much more enjoyable movie overall.

Not sure about a longer cut as the theatrical version drags in a lot of places. But if it really is better I'd be willing to give it a try. A longer cut would have to be split over two discs, with a third disc for any kind if substantial bonus features, and I just don't see this film getting a three disc special edition.

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
I love the movie and would buy the extended cut in a second.

I got a chance to see the boat Costners character used in the movie when it was on display at Universal Studios Florida a few years back and I also have the complete Waterworld ty line, so yeah I can say I'm a fan of the film.

So universal release the extended cut or point me in the right direction for a good boot copy.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately they may have missed the opportunity to do a 10th anniversary special edition for this year, unless plans are already under way and we just haven't heard rumors of it yet.

Count me as another one who has been waiting a long time for the extended cut on DVD.

Originally posted by Jeff Whitford

The DTS version has the .1 LFE and I found it at Best Buy for only $6.99. The Atol assault near the beginning packs a big punch.

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
I would give anything to hear a Costner/Reynolds commentary :)

And that boat was just so cool. I live near Marina Del Rey and spent a night wandering the marina with a friend because we'd heard one of the two boats was docked there (the other is at Universal Studios in Orlando). But it had been sold and was gone.

For my money, I think the best scene in the extended cut is the trial of the Mariner, where Helen defends him and the crowd turns on her. It explains her urgency to get out of there later.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
For anyone who has seen the extended cut....
I heard one of the scenes explains how they have all of the cigarettes. I assume they are growing tobacco. But, where do the get the paper wrapping?

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
todd s from memory someone please correct me if wrong but

they were found on the tanker it was fully stocked

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks